• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Caring for your Chippewa boots without darkening them

CoolNickname

Reaction score
I'm wondering what is your opinion on how to take care of these boots without darkening the color. I live where it rarely rains and never snows so those conditions will rarely be applicable to me. However, I would still like to protect them so they can last. By the way, the picture below doesn't do these boots justice because they are so much nicer in person. The cordovan color makes these boots look very sharp.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/...noPopUp=true&gclid=CIulgfm-3roCFSEV7AodcXoAtQ

I was recommended to use Lexol and Obenauf, but I was told that Obenauf would make the leather darker. I really like the color as is and want to minimize any darkening if possible.

A response from Chippewa on how to care for the boots was the following: "For oil treated leathers, we recommend the use of a cream based conditioner, such as Apache Cream, to maintain the moisture in the leather. To water resist these boots, the use of Aqua Seal or Snow Seal as well as Welt Seal is recommended, depending on the conditions the boots are being subjected to."

I have also heard of Nikwax being a good product, but not sure which method would darken less or none at all. What is your opinion of these products? If they all equally darken, I'm willing to go with the best product to preserve my boots as much as possible.​

Last edited:

theBlar

Reaction score
You haven't had any replys after 3 months, but you must have figured something out by now. I'm in the same boat, and I wanted know what has worked best for you.

direstrats220

Reaction score
I typically just use Venetian Cream on my boots. A good brushing and some Venetian cream goes a long way in keeping the boots clean and conditioned.

CoolNickname

Reaction score
You haven't had any replys after 3 months, but you must have figured something out by now. I'm in the same boat, and I wanted know what has worked best for you.
I used the leather dressing from the link below. It did not darken my boots. Call this number (800) 728-0970 and ask for Kevin (owner) if you want more advice. He is very helpful!

I put it on before wearing my boots (although he felt it wasn't necessary). I brush them with a horse hair brush after every use and haven't needed to treat them again yet.

http://www.montanapitchblend.com/

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads