• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Caring for shoes out of season

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few lighter tan shoes that I don't wear in the Fall/Winter. Should they be conditioned or polished in the "off season" or it it okay to just let them sit?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
I have a few lighter tan shoes that I don't wear in the Fall/Winter. Should they be conditioned or polished in the "off season" or it it okay to just let them sit?

Some say to condition and polish your shoes roughly once a month even if you haven't worn them. I will condition and polish my dress boots maybe once during the summer months even though I am not wear them, then once again when I am ready to take them out.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Some say to condition and polish your shoes roughly once a month even if you haven't worn them. I will condition and polish my dress boots maybe once during the summer months even though I am not wear them, then once again when I am ready to take them out.

What's the reason for condition or polishing during the season that the shoes aren't being worn.

-LR

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I condition about every 2 months, in use or not, year round.
I only polish when the shoes are in active use, about every 3-4 wearings or as needed.
Some leathers are thirstier than others.
Once you develop some sensitivity to this, you'll know which ones need more frequent lotioning.
I find my Campanile (and Canali made by them) need lotioning about once per month.
I don't know why, but their leathers are very thirsty compared to most of my other shoes.
Also, it takes very little lotion.
One need not slather it on but rather apply sparingly, let dry 15 min, then brush, then buff.
Keep all shoes away from radiators or other heat sources as this will prematurely dry them out.
Preferrably, keep shoe trees in the shoes to maintain their shape.
Newspaper makes a cheap alternative if funds are not available.
Keep them away from any window where direct sunlight comes in to prevent unnecessary fading.
Also keep them away from damp environments such as unfinished basements to prevent mold and mildew from growing.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
are they decent quality shoes? just tuck them away you dont have to do anything to them. just make sure they are dry though if you store them in an enclosed place

They're all on the low end of SF approved AE-C&J. I think I have the opposite problem. The air in my home is extremely dry in the winter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads