• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Caring for pre-made patina-leather

Shube

Reaction score
I did a search, and there doesn't seem to be a lot on this forum regarding store-bought patina leather care. To be specific... I'm NOT looking to talk about 'antiquing' a solid-colour pair of shoes. No, I'm referring strictly to those shoes that have been professionally dyed/painted (as opposed to antique polished), and how to go about caring for them.

If my goal is to maintain the original, store-bought patina texture/appearance over time, is it possible? Hearing from 2 different shoe maker 'support' departments... it sounds like it's not really possible, per say.

My understanding is...

If I use a clear/neutral polish and/or wax... the original patina colours will slowly fade over time.

If I use coloured polish and/or wax, I'll slowly be altering the original patina (and probably losing the brush-stroke effect, if present). Using just one colour time and again will eventually flatten out the shoe's colour. Using a main colour polish and then creatively using a bit of additional black polish to add shadow areas... I'd be slowly making my own patina design, covering up what was originally there.

So, I pay an extra bit of money for a patina out-of-the-box, but I shouldn't expect to be able to keep it as is for too long, and will have to learn a DIY technique in making my own cover-up patina - is that about accurate? Thoughts?

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You have uncovered the not-so-secret problem with those kinds of shoes. Namely, shoes get scuffs and change with repeated polishing, conditioning, and even just regular wear. Far better to create your own patina over time that will look more natural and will even look better with some scuffs and re-applications of polish. Ah, but that would take time and patience. So yeah, there is no hope of keeping your shoes looking like new. Your only defense is to get shoes that will look better with wear.

notdos

Reaction score
Bick 4 is what seems to be preferred. It doesn’t appear to take anything away from the Patina while acting as something of a highlighter, imho.

Shube

Reaction score
Well, one shoe I'm considering is full-grain... the other, it doesn't explicitly say - from Altan ParisBottier, their Gumlite wholecut oxford.

In any case, my question is a general one for current and future reference... so perhaps, EZB, you might so kind as to compare for us the likely situation between both full-grain and top-grain and/or corrected leather uppers with pre-made patinas? :)

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, one shoe I'm considering is full-grain... the other, it doesn't explicitly say - from Altan ParisBottier, their Gumlite wholecut oxford.

In any case, my question is a general one for current and future reference... so perhaps, EZB, you might so kind as to compare for us the likely situation between both full-grain and top-grain and/or corrected leather uppers with pre-made patinas? :)
Corrected grain won’t take polish as well. I’d expcect less fade, but
aging that looks worse.

Shube

Reaction score
Bick 4 is what seems to be preferred. It doesn’t appear to take anything away from the Patina while acting as something of a highlighter, imho.
Bick 4 leather conditioner, eh? Seeing as I'm still new to quality shoes, that too is new to me. So word on the street is, Bick 4 does a good job of preventing a patina from fading... as a leather conditioner, it doesn't need to be applied as often as a polish - I should still use a clear polish most of the time, and then once in awhile use Bick 4 to bring back or saturate the various patina shades?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads