• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Psydelik

Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently bought a pair of white low achilles and am just wondering how I should go about maintaining the leather to ensure that they last a long time. I live in Vancouver and it's pretty damp here most of the time, so I would hate to ruin them just by going about my business and getting them a little wet. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Oski

Reaction score
beat the **** out of them.
they look quite nice that way.

ysb

Reaction score
always carry around a soft cloth to immediately wipe off moisture and dirt.
never wear with raw denim.
remove laces after each wearing to prevent forming impressions in the leather
store at 50-70F in a dark place with humidity no more than 5%
avoid walking on grass or cement surfaces.
if you MUST wear them, then take the extra time to place plastic grocery bags around your feet before venturing out.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear my cps in the snow.

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ysb
always carry around a soft cloth to immediately wipe off moisture and dirt.
never wear with raw denim.
remove laces after each wearing to prevent forming impressions in the leather
store at 50-70F in a dark place with humidity no more than 5%
avoid walking on grass or cement surfaces.
if you MUST wear them, then take the extra time to place plastic grocery bags around your feet before venturing out.

I find acid-free lucite boxes that fit around them also help maintain the shape. Currently my single pair of CPs is in the archive of a museum curator friend of mine.

Oski

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
I wear my cps in the snow.

I wore mine during a Chicago snowstorm, hold up pretty well.

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Psydelik
Hey guys, I recently bought a pair of white low achilles and am just wondering how I should go about maintaining the leather to ensure that they last a long time. I live in Vancouver and it's pretty damp here most of the time, so I would hate to ruin them just by going about my business and getting them a little wet. Any advice would be much appreciated.

uhoh.gif
why are you urinating on them?

pdsf

Reaction score
^ lol Use neutral shoe polish.
smile.gif

Psydelik

Reaction score
Originally Posted by softy
uhoh.gif
why are you urinating on them?

Sometimes I just can't help myself..haha. So, should I really not be afraid of beating them up a bit? Everyone I know is telling me I'm crazy because I'm wearing them when it's wet out and I'm not sure what the hell to do as it is almost always wet here. I suppose I'll just admire them from afar.

auc2mic

Reaction score
CPs are meant to be beat up... especially white achilles lows... they look better as they get beat up IMO

I've worn mine for 3 consecutive winters and they are still in great shape

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually wipe mine with a damp cloth if they get stained in any egregious way (this works for stray wax or dye from your jeans as well). Other than that, I treat them like normal sneakers.

Psydelik

Reaction score
Originally Posted by auc2mic
CPs are meant to be beat up... especially white achilles lows... they look better as they get beat up IMO

I've worn mine for 3 consecutive winters and they are still in great shape

That's what I figured, but everyone thinks im crazy for wanting to wear ballin' shoes normally. Appreciate the input guys.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they arent that over priced if you get them on sale. just treat them like normal shoes.

gearhead

Reaction score
ditto on beating them up, sneakers are not to be babied, if u have dark colour cp's, no need to worry about wearing denim with them, the colour bleed only shows on light colours
seriously tho, ppl spend a thousand dollars on guidi/augusta boots and beat the hell outta them
as long as its not an overly dressy/fancy style, wear the shoe and don't let it wear you

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads