• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

    Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

    Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Caring for and Ironing your Custom Dress Shirts

bkarmstrong

Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2010
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
4 tips on how to care for your dress shirts:

Tip 1 - Never take your custom dress shirts to the Cleaners.

Tip 2 - Hate the unsightly brown collar stain you get on your shirts after wearing them a couple times? Kill those shirt collar stains with a stain remover as soon as you can.

Tip 3 - Learn how to iron correctly.

Tip 4 - Don't let your collars shrink.

More details in my blog entry below:

Caring For Your Custom Dress Shirts
OR
http://bkarmstrong.blogspot.com/2011...ss-shirts.html

PA240011.JPG
 

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2009
Messages
1,219
Reaction score
24
Starch is not good for shirts. I never use starch.

Use a good iron to iron your shirts, and an ironing board with a vacuum does wonders. Always use distilled water for the iron. Impurities in tap water will build up in the boiler and become inefficient, and it can cause stains on shirts.
 

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
2,951
Reaction score
50
Originally Posted by bkarmstrong

Tip 2 - Hate the unsightly brown collar stain you get on your shirts after wearing them a couple times?


Yuck. Do you turn your underwear inside out to?
stirpot.gif
 

stubloom

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2010
Messages
348
Reaction score
60
The notion that you should never take a custom shirt to a dry cleaner/shirt laundry just because the overwhelming majority of cleaners are poor strikes me as extreme. Is the answer to the problem to avoid shirt laundries all together, or is the answer to find a shirt laundry that "does it right"? As with any service you procure, the quality of work will range from poor to extraordinary. The key, to my way of thinking, is to find a shirt laundry (a) that knows what they're doing and, (b) where the vast majority of the shirts that they handle are custom. They are few and far between, but they DO exist. That having been said, I do agree with the belief that ordinary cleaners have no clue how to care for fine shirts -- custom or OTR. Blog post: 10 reasons why cleaners can't produce laundered shirts with extraordinarily clean collars and cuffs http://ravefabricare.com/true-quali...-extraordinarily-clean-collars-and-cuffs.aspx
 

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2010
Messages
3,319
Reaction score
52
Originally Posted by CYstyle
Starch is not good for shirts. I never use starch.

Use a good iron to iron your shirts, and an ironing board with a vacuum does wonders. Always use distilled water for the iron. Impurities in tap water will build up in the boiler and become inefficient, and it can cause stains on shirts.


Interesting I did not know that the water you used in your iron was important!
 

Mudhiker

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2010
Messages
369
Reaction score
7
Originally Posted by Achilles_
Interesting I did not know that the water you used in your iron was important!

Very very important if you live somewhere where there are any dissolved minerals. Even if it is minor, over time the evaporative effect inside the iron will create a sort of "salt lake" in there, and it will clog up. At best you lose an iron. At worst you get nasty stains on your clothing. I always have a gallon of distilled water in the corner of the laundry room just for this purpose.
 

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2010
Messages
2,175
Reaction score
2,241
Originally Posted by Mudhiker
Very very important if you live somewhere where there are any dissolved minerals. Even if it is minor, over time the evaporative effect inside the iron will create a sort of "salt lake" in there, and it will clog up. At best you lose an iron. At worst you get nasty stains on your clothing. I always have a gallon of distilled water in the corner of the laundry room just for this purpose.

Any way to reverse any of the effects with the iron?
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

  • Peacoat

  • Great coat

  • Trench

  • Mac

  • Chesterfield

  • Duffle coat

  • Topcoat

  • Shearling

  • Balmacaan

  • Parka

  • Loden

  • Car coat


Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
503,485
Messages
10,566,251
Members
223,450
Latest member
middleearthhrcom
Top