Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Caring for AE McTavish

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bear, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

OK - I know how to take care of shoes...but am a little stumped with shoes such as the Allen Edmonds McTavish (pictured below) because of the contrasting stitching.

I wouldn't want to put cream on them as I feel the cream would dye the stitching - same as polish. I would also be nervous brushing them for the same reason.

Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone have these and take care of them a specific way?

Love the shoes - just want to take care of them and preserve the look.

[​IMG]

2. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Have you thought about calling AE? I've found their call center to be very helpful. Also, this is part of the AE "Rough" line, yes? How are you planning to wear them? I'm thinking about a pair myself.

3. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Wipe with a damp rag after a wearing.
    Sparingly apply leather conditioner once a month. Let dry 1 hr, brush, then buff with a soft flannel cloth.
    When actual polish is needed, apply sparingly with finger and with great care.
    Let dry 1 hr. Brish, then buff.
    Use a dedicated brush for these. You should have several horsehair brushes in your arsenal, each dedicated to one colour.
    Don't worry about the contrast stitching, it will be fine as long as you don't slather the polish on.
    Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to Styleforum.

4. geeohh

geeohh New Member

Does anyone wear the Black Mctavish without jeans? Maybe a suit?

5. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

I have a pair and love them. The I use the AE conditioner/cleaner (very lightly) then the AE saddle soap. Does the trick. They do not shine, but then again they're not supposed to. I've worn them with a suit on Fridays or other less formal days. It's a fine look, IMHO.

6. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I have the tan McTavish and use only the AE cleaner/conditioner and AE leather lotion on them. Keeps them looking fine for me.

Chris

7. apeatapple

apeatapple Member

How about McTavish in dark brown cognac? Would you guys recommend to use leather lotion over saddle soap? Some posts on AE recommended to use leather lotion and some says to use cleaner/conditioner, but never recommend to apply saddle soap on the dark brown. I sometimes found their answers to be very confusing.

8. momanny

momanny Well-Known Member

I wipe mine down with a damp cloth. Don't want to risk ruining the finish