• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cargo shorts

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear them when it's hot out and I don't feel like wearing linen or lightweight cotton pants.

I think they're perfectly acceptable, but I live in Australia, so bear that in mind.

However, when wearing cargo shorts, there is a fine line between "relaxing in the summertime" and "just came back from the LAN party". Ensure you are on the correct side of the line.

For example, wearing them with sandals, as opposed to flip-flops, is probably a bad idea. Especially with socks.

Do not wear them with overly complicated techy cross-trainer sneakers. Do not tuck in your t-shirt.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Cargo pockets are good for holding an extra beer or two.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can any of you guys tell the difference between cargo and bdu shorts? I often have people refering to my BDUs as cargoes.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flame
Can any of you guys tell the difference between cargo and bdu shorts? I often have people refering to my BDUs as cargoes.
I can, but I understand the confusion. They're both essentially shorts with cargo pockets. Does it matter?

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, it doesn't. Just wondering how to differentiate between the two. What exactly is the difference? Just the materials?

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would call them BDUs only if they were actually produced for the military, or are accurate reproductions.

Many cargo shorts/pants have swiped all the features of BDUs anyway - ripstop fabric, waist tabs etc.

minya

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick M
I wear them when it's hot out and I don't feel like wearing linen or lightweight cotton pants.

I think they're perfectly acceptable, but I live in Australia, so bear that in mind.

However, when wearing cargo shorts, there is a fine line between "relaxing in the summertime" and "just came back from the LAN party". Ensure you are on the correct side of the line.

For example, wearing them with sandals, as opposed to flip-flops, is probably a bad idea. Especially with socks.

Do not wear them with overly complicated techy cross-trainer sneakers. Do not tuck in your t-shirt.

Completely agreed. Cargo, military-styled shorts can be pulled off, but you have to be careful not to look like a massive nerdcore douche.

Mr Sola

Reaction score
Technically, BDU's (Battle Dress Uniform) are a specific military uniform. They are the older cammies with the colors in large blotches. Not all of them were ripstop. They are being phased out for service specific uniforms. It all started with the MCU's (Marine Combat Uniform) which has a digital camo pattern. There are seperate ones for desert and woodland. ACU's (Army combat uniform) are also digital, but there is one uniform for both desert and woodland. The new Air Force uniforms have been recently approved. The Navy is going to a blue tiger stripe pattern.

Sorry to be so long winded.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to fall heavily on the "just came back from the LAN party" side of things. New Balances, cargo everything, etc. Honestly, I miss cargo pockets. They were very useful. Alas, I really don't like shorts anymore.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
I used to fall heavily on the "just came back from the LAN party" side of things. New Balances, cargo everything, etc. Honestly, I miss cargo pockets. They were very useful. Alas, I really don't like shorts anymore.
It's probably for the best.

A.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably so, but they were so useful!

Alas, cargo pants that actually look good are nearly impossible to find.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been having a similar aversion to cargo shorts and pants, and a lot of the shorts available these days are cargo. How do you avoid the LAN party and douchebag look if you're wearing cargo shorts, incidentally?

I do own a pair of Ralph Lauren cargo pants that don't have the LAN party look, fortunately.

StevenRocks

Reaction score
Tailored cuts help. Avoid fraying if possible. And don't sport them with a backwards dirty white baseball cap.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Funny that this thread is here today...

We went to the zoo today with the kids, my in-laws and some family friends for Easter. I must say that 99% of the men at the zoo (myself included) were wearing cargo shorts with tennis shoes. I just happened to note that as we were watching on of the feedings, that almost every male anywhere near me was wearing the same basic outfit.

I was wearing a silk camp shirt and a crushable felt Indiana Jones-style fedora. Others were wearing everything from tee's to polo shirts and most were wearing baseball hats with a few straw golf hats scattered throughout.

I think my outfit would probably be better with flip-flops, but they were not practical for pushing a stroller through the zoo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads