1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cargo pants

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by daneero, Jul 19, 2007.

1. daneero

daneero Member

I admit it: I love cargo pants. I don't mean the baggy kind that A&F sells; I speak of the slim fit ones, preferably in darker colors.

Would said pants ever be appropriate with a casual blazer such as a tweed jacket? What are your thoughts on cargo pants in general?

2. gumercindo

gumercindo Senior member

good questino. I've been looking for a nice pair of lightweight cargos and haven't had much luck. Not a big fan of the distressed cargo.

3. thinman

thinman Senior member

I own several pairs of cargo pants that I wear casually as a change-up from jeans. I don't think I could wear my cargos with a jacket since my cargo pants are baggy, but I like my jackets quite fitted. It's an interesting thought, though, so I may try it when I'm feeling especially heretical.

4. tbone226

tbone226 Senior member

I admit it: I love cargo pants. I don't mean the baggy kind that A&F sells; I speak of the slim fit ones, preferably in darker colors. Would said pants ever be appropriate with a casual blazer such as a tweed jacket? What are your thoughts on cargo pants in general?
    I have a pair of linen cargo pants that I love. I've worn them with more summer-casual blazers/jackets before (cotton or linen) and the combo seems to work in a more casual setting.

5. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

Save the cargo pants for the camping trip, is my feeling.

6. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

IMHO, cargo pants are for wearing with t-shirts and are at the lowest rung of casual (or maybe one rung up on shorts). A jacket doesn't seem to make sense in that the pockets would break the lines created by the jacket, anyway.

7. apocalypse later

apocalypse later Senior member

I think cargo pants have such a bad rep since so many people think that they are a legitimate substitution for chinos.

Cargo pants and a blazer don't even look good together. I think they go fine with a t-shirt or a polo though, but once you go past a casual button-up they should not be worn.

8. farfisa23

farfisa23 Senior member

If you are not in the army, a high school student, a Frosh in college, a war correspondent, a professional photographer or anything related to smuggling then cargo pants are not a good luck.

Grown men should not be wearing them. Just one man's opinion.

9. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

I have a nice pair of cargo trousers in 100% wool, medium gray, But I never wear it with a tailored jacket.... normally only with zip sweaters...

10. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

If you are not in the army, a high school student, a Frosh in college, a war correspondent, a professional photographer or anything related to smuggling then cargo pants are not a good luck.

Grown men should not be wearing them. Just one man's opinion.

bad opinion, though.

they're fine for extremely casual settings.

11. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Mason's makes nice ones, though they are not especially trim.

12. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

I think they look fine, but I have never owned a single pair. I'm 32 and I lived through the peak of cargo pants.

13. j

j Senior member Admin

There are a bunch on Polo.com that I've considered from time to time, but the association with douchey cargo-short-clad people keeps me away, especially at the prices they want. If I'm camping, hiking, shooting etc., I will wear BDU cargo pants because they are cheap and durable.

14. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

What if you're a cargo hauler?

15. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

With cargo pants I'd go with something like a safari jacket or a bomber jacket rather than a blazer.

16. farfisa23

farfisa23 Senior member

What if you're a cargo hauler?

That would work. You would have to make a lot of trips back and forth to gain any headway. I would think you need a pair if you worked for Sisyphus and Sons Moving Company.

I think cargos are really overworked in modern day America. There is no way to wear them without falling into the Polo/Abercromie trap with the cheap web belt, uggh.

Most cargo pants have too many pockets for my taste, 5 are enough. Two at the side, two in the back and one maybe - MAYBE- for my change.

Cargo Pants are a non-starter for me.

17. hobbahobba

hobbahobba Member

Aquamarine cargo pants by Elhaus are quite unique

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

Tremendous five year necrobump.

19. NORE

NORE Senior member

Was worth it to see Lakewolf's avatar :)