carey grant

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by matadorpoeta, May 27, 2005.

1. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Cary Grant most definitely was elegantly dressed in real life. Tonnes of photos suggest it, and as was said, he had no stylists. I think he dressed himself in a lot of his movies too.

Just recently watched North By Northwest. Liked it apart from there being only one suit...

2. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

3. richstyle

richstyle Well-Known Member

Cary Grant most definitely was elegantly dressed in real life. Tonnes of photos suggest it, and as was said, he had no stylists. I think he dressed himself in a lot of his movies too.

Just recently watched North By Northwest. Liked it apart from there being only one suit...

I thought so too--that there was only one suit, the mid-gray one he memorably wears in the crop duster scenes. But at least in the stills he's swearing a herring bone or glen plaid or a suit with a pattern in the scene where he' s in the elevator with his mom on the far left and the two bad guys to his right and left. Must check that.

4. saint

saint Senior member

Grant was a great actor, no doubt about that. But, I think overall, Fred Astaire both for his style and originality thereof, was the great Hollywood style icon. It's really too bad that today's actors are, in general, styleless buffoons.

5. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

Zachary Scott was my all time favorite.[​IMG]

6. stach

stach Senior member

^^The best movie of all time!!!

7. Ivan Kipling

Hi stach . . . one of my all time favorites. Super stylish movie. Zachary Scott is the most elegant man I've ever seen, in films.
    [​IMG]

Highly recommend Humoresque, as well.

8. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

Not only Cary Grant, but just about anyone appearing in a photo by George Hurrell looked smashing!

9. richstyle

Check again. There is more than one suit--a glen plaid or some such in the elevator scene in the Plaza Hotel elevator flanked by bad guys and the actress who play his mom. It's not the crop duster mid-gray suit. Check it when the spirit moves you and let me know what you think.

10. richstyle

Hi stach . . . one of my all time favorites. Super stylish movie. Zachary Scott is the most elegant man I've ever seen, in films.
    [​IMG]

Highly recommend Humoresque, as well.

Zachary Scott. Elegan, yes,t but there's more to his appeal methings: rakish, if not evil, dangerous, slippery, and
    evil behind the suave facade. My good friend Armanis is a Zack Scott fan
    : )

But can anybody offer a good resource of Zach Scott films on DVD. They're hard to find, except for Mildred Pierce.

And anybody know much about his life. Did he die young? I think TCM should devote a day to Zach Scott films so we can tape them all. Let's start a write in campaign.

I talked to someone at TCM and they're always looking for "new" stars to celebrate. After all, how many days can they devote to Hitchcock, Katherine Hepburn, and the great Cary Grant. --RT

11. Ivan Kipling

rich . . . Zachary Scott was the son of a prominent surgeon. He died at age 51: complications from a brain tumor. As you know, ZS is my icon of elegance, deportment, and style. The jaunt to his step. His incredible ease and ability to wear clothes. The way he held his cigarette; Scott purred and hissed, at the same time. Also: Mr. Scott's face was chic. Not 'too good looking.' Some wouldn't even find him to have been attractive. But he was chic! There is a difference.

He made many films . . . but it's his unforgettable portrayal of roue, Monte Beragon, that's indelible to Scott's fans. Mr. Scott co-starred again with Joan Crawford, in Flamingo Road. He was in Cass Timberlane, with Spencer Tracy and Lana Turner. Another one of Scott's most famous films: The Mask of Dimitrios. That one, you should see. It's excellent.

12. richstyle

rich . . . Zachary Scott was the son of a prominent surgeon. He died at age 51: complications from a brain tumor. As you know, ZS is my icon of elegance, deportment, and style. The jaunt to his step. His incredible ease and ability to wear clothes. The way he held his cigarette; Scott purred and hissed, at the same time. Also: Mr. Scott's face was chic. Not 'too good looking.' Some wouldn't even find him to have been attractive. But he was chic! There is a difference.

He made many films . . . but it's his unforgettable portrayal of roue, Monte Beragon, that's indelible to Scott's fans. Mr. Scott co-starred again with Joan Crawford, in Flamingo Road. He was in Cass Timberlane, with Spencer Tracy and Lana Turner. Another one of Scott's most famous films: The Mask of Dimitrios. That one, you should see. It's excellent.

He had style to burn, though a bit one dimensional for my tastes. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. What he did he did well. And dying at 51 sure didn't help his film career. Many of Cary Grant's iconic movies were made when he was past that age, so bad luck for Scott. Who knows what he could have done with the new crop of directors.

Nevertheless, I'm a huge fan. But I've only found Mildred Pierce on DVD. How can you be a proper Scott fan if you have to wait around for TCM to show his movies? Anybody know where you can get a decent collection of his films on DVD?

13. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

And dying at 51 sure didn't help his film career.
    [​IMG]

14. Ivan Kipling

Well, brain tumors don't stop for anyone.
    I just tape his movies, when they come on television. Cass Timberlane is quite charming. And Flamingo Road, is truly a hoot.

15. richstyle

you plug your book and don't give a link to the Amazon page where we can buy it? sheesh ... need to work on your marketing skills!

alright, alright, I'll do it for you ...

http://tinyurl.com/kvcyv

(co-authored with Giorgio Armani, no less.)

Co-authored w/Armani???? Not so. He just wrote the Foreword, Michael Kors the Afterword. I take the blame and the credit for the rest.

Signing at Book Soup on Sunset Nov 11 @ 2PM. All are welcome. Some special guests too. --RT