• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Caretaking of a Burberry trench coat with a smudge on it

dsr35

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I´m new to this forum, so I certainly hope this is the right forum room to post this in, but I do however desperately need some help.
I recently bought one of the navy Burberry trench coats, 100% cotton gabardine. We are talking no more than 2 months ago, and I am perfectly happy with it.
Then the other day I had to carry home a somewhat big, heavy and unhandy package from the local post office (17kg'ish). My post office is close to where I live, so I carried it by foot. I was wearing my Burberry, and I let the package lean onto my chest to evently distribute the weight.

When I came home and (finally) could let go of the package, I look in the mirror, and to my great horror spot a strange, new smudge/spot/whateveritis on my left lapel where a button is sewn in on the other side, and it is located in the area where I rested the weight of the package.
I have attached a photo so you can see it. It is not that big, but it is right in the middle of the left lapel, so it is awfully easy to spot when looking at it. It is a downright eye sore!

I have been trying to remove the spot for a week now, using only water, but it just will not go away. Do you have any suggestions to safely remove it, preferably without a full dry clean or wash? Thanks!

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have had good success with those Tide or similar "To go" cleaning pens.

http://tide.com/en-us/shop/type/stain-removers/tide-to-go

I always carry one in my briefcase for these types of situations. I have found they work surprisingly well.

Disclosure: I am not a shill for Tide, although I do own some stock in their parent company, Proctor & Gamble. There are other brands out there that may do just as good a job.

Last edited:

tweedydon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recommend speaking with your trusted dry cleaner!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's