• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Careful with buying from the classifieds

Jim Price

Reaction score
Buyer beware! We have all heard this advise but sometimes we forget. Styleforum is a great website I found while looking to upscale my suite wardrobe. Lots of great advise regarding current men's fashion along with photos. I was really excited and bought my first suit from Styleforum's classifieds last week without remembering - "Buyer Beware". There are still a lot of unscrupulous sellers out there just waiting for some trusting soul to come along. In my case, the seller did not disclose that the suit was a "Modern Cut" or that he had a "No Return" policy. Now I have a suit so small that it can't be altered to fit, an anonymous seller (Shinner23) that could care less and I am out $275. I did receive some great advise from the seller though; just put it on eBay and sell it. Understand, I do not hold Styleform responsible for sellers on their website but buyer beware if you purchase from their classifieds ads.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would you think a seller accepts returns without saying so?

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The classifieds are a peer to peer selling platform, not an e-commerce undertaking. Why would there be returns short of gross misconduct, e.g. selling a fake product?

As for your other qualm, "modern fit" is a marketing term. What constitutes modern? How does one quantify it? Were measurements given if requested?

I've bought stuff on here that didn't work and went onto reselling it because it didn't work out. Sometimes I lost money. Sometimes I made money. That goes with the territory.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why on earth would a private seller accept returns? Like the others said, they are a private seller not a store lol.

Unless something is not as described then there's nothing to complain about.

Attachments

• 8A497785-1433-4BDD-AB78-EEFCC4CCCC13.jpeg
    8A497785-1433-4BDD-AB78-EEFCC4CCCC13.jpeg
    67 KB · Views: 61

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I assume the OP is new to buying clothes on the forum, so it doesn't seem that unreasonable to not know about the unwritten rules.

To the OP, as others have said, everything here is final sale unless something egregious happened (e.g. the item was damaged in transit). In the future, you may want to ask for measurements, assuming you didn't already with this purchase. Here's a link that may be useful.

Compare these measurements to your best fitting garment.

To be honest, I think buying tailored clothing off B&S can be a dicey game because clothes are a lot more than just those measurements. Even two garments with the same measurements may not fit the same depending on their construction. Unless you're familiar with the suitmaker and model, you're always taking a chance. That said, some people like the system because it allows them to save a little money.

Suitsupply is a pretty popular brand. You should be able to offload that on eBay for not much less than what you paid. Maybe minus a hundred bucks, I suppose.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads