• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Career Path: Buyer to Consulting

Peli

Reaction score
Hey guys! I discovered consulting late in my college career and couldn't land an offer in time for my graduation next spring. I received first round interviews from AT Kearney and Citi (Commercial Banking), but unsurprisingly drew little additional interest from banking and consulting. Instead, I received an offer from a Fortune 500 Luxury Retailing company that starts me in a Buyer role, and I have until February to decide. Typical promotions are to senior buyer or merchandise planner roles.

My question is this: After a few years in a corporate position, could I break into consulting? Why would or wouldn't I want to?

More about me:

Target School, Economics Major

Perfect SAT Score

POOR GPA

STRONG business spirit; started a modest but lucrative company while in college to help pay tuition/expenses since I come from a low-income family

= GOALS: To buy my parents a house and get good.

I appreciate all your thoughts!

Last edited:

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll most likely need to go to bschool...thats what I did and am starting in consulting coming from asset management background...I start full time in june

Peli

Reaction score

You'll most likely need to go to bschool...thats what I did and am starting in consulting coming from asset management background...I start full time in june

What steps would I take to get an MBA through my corporate buyer role? From what I gathered, it's an atypical career route.

Last edited:

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What steps would I take to get an MBA through my corporate buyer role? From what I gathered, it's an atypical career route.

work for a couple of years and apply like everyone else? there are plenty of career changers in my program and a few who will be coming from buyer/retail role into consulting...i think it actually makes a decent transition into supply chain consulting.

what makes you so sure you want to work in consulting or that its a good fit for you if you havent even graduated undergrad yet? Also there are several other companies still in the midst of interviewing...not sure if federal practice is behind commercial but you might want to look there...its a bad look to renigg on an offer but you should keep your eyes peeled for other consulting roles...also if your schools career services is anything like mine, they will do anything they can to keep you from accepting another role as it behooves them to keep the relationship with the employer...so you're on your own if you want to keep looking.

Last edited:

Peli

Reaction score
work for a couple of years and apply like everyone else? there are plenty of career changers in my program and a few who will be coming from buyer/retail role into consulting...i think it actually makes a decent transition into supply chain consulting.

what makes you so sure you want to work in consulting or that its a good fit for you if you havent even graduated undergrad yet? Also there are several other companies still in the midst of interviewing...not sure if federal practice is behind commercial but you might want to look there...its a bad look to renigg on an offer but you should keep your eyes peeled for other consulting roles...also if your schools career services is anything like mine, they will do anything they can to keep you from accepting another role as it behooves them to keep the relationship with the employer...so you're on your own if you want to keep looking.
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

I like the buyer/retail and supply chain consulting connection you made. Those are the two areas my background agree with most strongly.

I want to work in consulting because it offers a high speed, engaging environment where I would build skills and be continuously learning. The culture of mentorship consulting firms have is also immensely appealing to me.

I'll look into federal practice and continue applying to more boutique firms.

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!  

I like the buyer/retail and supply chain consulting connection you made.  Those are the two areas my background agree with most strongly.

I want to work in consulting because it offers a high speed, engaging environment where I would build skills and be continuously learning.  The culture of mentorship consulting firms have is also immensely appealing to me. 

I'll look into federal practice and continue applying to more boutique firms.  

Look into cognizant. We are a target for them and they do supply chain consulting. But again most consulting companies want some exp in a specific area if that what you're most interested in

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads