• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Career move: Job vs. Family

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I've reached another turning point in my life/career and thought why not consult the SF group anonymously, as I've done in the past.

Essentially, I'm at the point where I need to make a very pointed decision in terms of work/life balance -- should I take a job that I don't fully love to have more time with my family, or should I continue working in positions that place strain on my wife? I'm leaning toward the better work/life balance, but I worry that I'm setting myself up for discontent and stunted career growth. Details below, but it's a little TLDR.

I currently work at a fairly small boutique consultancy that has a great top tier client list, pays well, and offers a lot of broad experience. The downside is that I have a long commute (1.5 hrs door-to-door and get home at 7:30) and having clients on the West coast means I'll need to check my email into the night and occasionally put out fires on evenings and weekends. This leaves little time to help out my wife (who works full time, but locally) with our 7 month old.

I've already decided to make the jump someplace with a better work/life balance, but where?

There's a large corporate company that's driving distance (30-45 min.) and has an impressive tenure rate among employees -- ~15 years for the hiring managers. On the other hand, it's super corporate and boring, and I wonder if I'd be hindering my earning potential down the road.

There's another mid-sized consultancy that would offer similar hours, but more support for project work, excellent growth opportunities, and less West Coast clients. However, it'd be the same commute -- so same amount of time with the family, just less stress.

And finally, there's a growing tech start-up that needs someone in-house. which typically means less stress. The hours would be a little better and more flexible, the work is super interesting, and it would probably be the best in terms of career development.

Wat do? Take a boring job in the burbs to be close to family? Take a slightly less stressful job for potential future growth? Or take a gamble by going in-house?

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Move closer to your job. If you get home at 7:30 after your commute you've already got it pretty good on hours anyway.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moving closer isn't really an option. We own a home, so we're not quite as mobile. We're also fairly close to my wife's place of work, who makes a fair bit more than I do(for now).

Also, if I have it pretty good in getting home at 7:30, who's watching the kids?

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tech start-up is actually doing quite well for itself, so the position would be stable. Also, it's UX based, which is an area that I've wanted to develop expertise in for some time.

@ archetypal_yuppie -- lol, I actually got riled up for a second. Like I said, she earns higher wages, but that came with substantial student loan debt. I have zero debt, so it evens out. Also, she has great job security, but topped out at her earning potential. My career path is a bit more of a gamble, but I stand to make more in the long run. Which sort of leads me to my predicament...

Has anyone ever put their career aside for family and then pick it back up when they have more time?

hanbei23

Reaction score
The tech start-up is actually doing quite well for itself, so the position would be stable. Also, it's UX based, which is an area that I've wanted to develop expertise in for some time.

@ archetypal_yuppie -- lol, I actually got riled up for a second. Like I said, she earns higher wages, but that came with substantial student loan debt. I have zero debt, so it evens out. Also, she has great job security, but topped out at her earning potential. My career path is a bit more of a gamble, but I stand to make more in the long run. Which sort of leads me to my predicament...

Has anyone ever put their career aside for family and then pick it back up when they have more time?
Close.

I made a decision three years ago to a more secure/stable job and better hours. I had a daughter that was born premature, so we struggled with a lot of developmental issues.

I don't regret the decision, I was able to spend time with my daughter and it helped. Though my position was not as dynamic as the previous one, similar to you, AntiHero84 there was an area of expertise that I could cultivate.

Next year I'll be able to take on a more demanding position and my new skills can be a differentiator. However there are some pitfalls in the ramping up that I anticipate.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, hanbei.

I ended up moving forward with the big/corporate job that's close to home. After considering the full scope of the position, I think there's a way that I can continue to build on an attractive/hire-able skill set moving forward. And I suppose that would only be if I ever get tired of spending time with my son...

Seriously though, they made a really strong offer and the benefits are starting to really outweigh the negatives. Thanks again to everyone who responded.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads