• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Career Advice

Dw3610wm

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I am a 20 year old musical prodigy who happens to be in music college, I find it boring and have won all the prizes in one of the best music colleges in the world and have performed with orchestras, and given recitals around the world to the acclaim of some of the best musicians on earth.

I don't really work at my instrument as a result and find that when I do I can do what people take 3 months to do in about 5 days, I could given a bit more work become quite famous in my field. It's not what I only see myself doing though, I have many many other hobbies (fashion, finance architecture etc.) and don't want to circumstantially become somebody just because I can (and I know there are many people who would love to do what I know I am capable of becoming, I just don't want to only do that). The pay in classical music is godawful.

so...

I was thinking of finishing next year (i'm in 3rd year now) at this college and going to Yale to do my postgraduate in music - This would be mainly because Yale allow you to study whatever else you want to study once you get in on something, or so I have heard. What is the best way for someone to infiltrate something like Investment Banking or another high $ job, while having studied classical music as an undergrad?

I am one of those people who luckily learns something very very quickly and becomes very good at it, I do have tons and tons of shortcomings and faults but luckily learning things practically (not academically) is my triple-forte!

I really really thank you guys for reading this and i'm sure some of the ballers on SF can help me out with this dilemma. I love what I do, but I would love the financial freedom to do it without relying on it for a living.

Cheers, I look forward to learning a lot from your advice

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dw3610wm
Gentlemen,

I am a 20 year old musical prodigy who happens to be in music college, I find it boring and have won all the prizes in one of the best music colleges in the world and have performed with orchestras, and given recitals around the world to the acclaim of some of the best musicians on earth.

I don't really work at my instrument as a result and find that when I do I can do what people take 3 months to do in about 5 days, I could given a bit more work become quite famous in my field. It's not what I only see myself doing though, I have many many other hobbies (fashion, finance architecture etc.) and don't want to circumstantially become somebody just because I can (and I know there are many people who would love to do what I know I am capable of becoming, I just don't want to only do that). The pay in classical music is godawful.

so...

I was thinking of finishing next year (i'm in 3rd year now) at this college and going to Yale to do my postgraduate in music - This would be mainly because Yale allow you to study whatever else you want to study once you get in on something, or so I have heard. What is the best way for someone to infiltrate something like Investment Banking or another high $ job, while having studied classical music as an undergrad?

I am one of those people who luckily learns something very very quickly and becomes very good at it, I do have tons and tons of shortcomings and faults but luckily learning things practically (not academically) is my triple-forte!

I really really thank you guys for reading this and i'm sure some of the ballers on SF can help me out with this dilemma. I love what I do, but I would love the financial freedom to do it without relying on it for a living.

Cheers, I look forward to learning a lot from your advice

Nigga, you's a tool.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.