• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Career advice... IT folks please chime in

pantheist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
In IT no manager is ever respected until they have the war-wounds of experience to prove it. An IT manager without experience will quickly drown or be out shined by his staff and replaced. I run an IT department and got here almost entirely on experience alone (my focuses in school were sociology related)

I don't know what your particular focus is on.... I'm assuming that since you aren't CompSci you won't be programming and maybe focusing more on infrastructure and/or engineering?

Here's my advise from experience..... get an entry level tech support job at a MID-SIZED company. Too small and you won't have enough variety, too large and they will pigeon-hole you into a boring routine wrapped in red tape. Lean EVERYTHING you can. VOLUNTEER for projects, especially new technology projects....

I think one of the most beneficial experiences of my career was volunteering to work all night from 5pm - 11am when we moved an enterprise level datacenter (dozens of racks of servers). Maybe 1% of the IT community gets to participate in a project during their career like that and it looks GREAT on a resume.

Anyway - expect to spend years, not months, getting that kind of experience under your belt. After that it shouldn't be hard to get promoted, or get hired as a team-leader/supervisor and you'll just move up from there.

Here's how it worked out for me:
1999 - 2002: was the only IT person for a small non-profit. I did everything on a shoestring budget
2002 - 2003: contract technician for mid-sized company
2003 - 2004: full-time technician for mid-sized company
2004 - 2006: senior technician (same company)
2006 - 2007: manager/team leader (same company)
2007 - 2008: IT Administrator (new company)
2008 - ????: I'm 28 years old on track to be made an officer of the company (CIO) before I turn 30

This is kind of the direction I'm heading in.

Started at this company straight out of high school just moving computer (2004)
In 2005 got hired on full time as a desktop support tech.
Been doing this till middle of 2006 and joined Remote support.
2007 got slotted into more of a tech lead posistion/travel (minimal).

Now I'm into the project part of things. It's a gov't agency so I'm doing multiple authentication and encryption **** now. Hopefully I'll get into a management spot soon where I can just tell everyone else to do the work. haha.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl
I wouldn't focus much on government work or clearance in security. The money is on the private side. Public security work is a joke in the industry.

The switch from Gov job with security clearance credentials to private sector is very easy. The reverse switch is close to impossible as it takes years to get through security clearance.
So the person who has it is in unique position on a job market.
Now, I am thinking of the future market 10, 20 years down the line (as he is contemplating his career). Where money are going to be in 5-10-15 years ?
I don't know.
But what I can anticipate is exponential growth of security professionals and thus gradual decline of salaries and number of jobs.
In the 90s all the money was in programming and QA where are those jobs now?
Thus my advice is: If you staying in IT try to get a small and knowledge-based niche rather than chase the highest paid sector/job just to find yourself in a dead end 5 years from now, competing against freshly minted security professionals with diplomas from Apu's Bangalor Computer Academy.
On a side note, a lot of people would suggest that switching specializations in IT is easy and normal way of things in "today's economy". You know those spiels about flexible work force and changing your carrier, midway, etc.
Well, don't believe them.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
The switch from Gov job with security clearance credentials to private sector is very easy. The reverse switch is close to impossible as it takes years to get through security clearance.
So the person who has it is in unique position on a job market.
Now, I am thinking of the future market 10, 20 years down the line (as he is contemplating his career). Where money are going to be in 5-10-15 years ?
I don't know.
But what I can anticipate is exponential growth of security professionals and thus gradual decline of salaries and number of jobs.
In the 90s all the money was in programming and QA where are those jobs now?
Thus my advice is: If you staying in IT try to get a small and knowledge-based niche rather than chase the highest paid sector/job just to find yourself in a dead end 5 years from now, competing against freshly minted security professionals with diplomas from Apu's Bangalor Computer Academy.
On a side note, a lot of people would suggest that switching specializations in IT is easy and normal way of things in "today's economy". You know those spiels about flexible work force and changing your carrier, midway, etc.
Well, don't believe them.

I think that if you distinguish yourself you won't have a problem. The problem for most people is that there is nothing special about them or their capabilities. Most people are, after all, just average. You have to take a critical look at yourself if you're going to stay in IT to assess your strengths as mbc did. Not everyone will make a good technical expert and not everyone will make a good manager. It's only worth staying on the technical side if you're going to be VERY good, otherwise you'll just be some disposable tech for the rest of your life. I have an innate ability for these things, but I'm not convinced that I want to stay in the field which is why after next year I think that I am done.

mbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by B1FF
This isn't 'passing the buck.'
In so much as the manager is passing the responsibility for dealing with the emergency on to his subordinate and then going back to sleep, yes, it is.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Find a skill in IT that is specialized and in demand. With that skill you will find there is no recession. Go independent and bill $200-$300 an hour being basically a glorified tech. If you can do this quick enough (by 25) you will not need to make any more than that. There are several things in IT that pay that well. Management is overrated and underpaid.
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
I think one of the most beneficial experiences of my career was volunteering to work all night from 5pm - 11am when we moved an enterprise level datacenter (dozens of racks of servers). Maybe 1% of the IT community gets to participate in a project during their career like that and it looks GREAT on a resume.
Great advice..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads