1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

career advice for Mrs trotter

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by globetrotter, Mar 10, 2005.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Stylish Dinosaur

looking for some advice out there - my wife is interested in going back to work. She has a Masters in Classical Art History and Archeology from a pretty good school, and has worked as an archeologist, a museum currator (in a pretty good museum) and has about 10 years as a teaching asistant and a lecturer in 3 different universities (in art history). she doesn't have her PhD. She also speaks 4 languages well (3 at native level), and can read and get by in 2-3 others.

We live within about an hour of manhattan.

I have thought that the best thing would be for her to teach in a community college or a prep school. She isn't sure that she could get a job like that without a PhD. She doesn't think that she could teach in a high school, without certification, and she doesn't really want to be a substitute high school teacher.

I don't think she could get a paying job as a currator in one of the good manhattan museums, without connections and a PhD.

I thought about antiquities stores, or auction houses.

I am also not sure if she could leverage her languages for a private sector job -

anyway, anybody have any suggestions or ideas?

2. johnapril

johnapril Distinguished Member

medical writing

3. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

You should be able to get a job at a college as a lecturer w/o a PHd, many colleges are hiring lecturers to teach undergrad classes, and if she isn't interested in doing research, it will likely be a good arrangement for both parties.

4. Fabienne

Fabienne Distinguished Member

Does she miss teaching?

With her language skills, she might consider doing freelance translations (in her specialized area especially), and interpreting jobs. She might also be very valuable to some museums, if they wish to conduct tours in foreign languages. At Versailles, for example, all the guides for various language tours are extremely knowledgeable.

It is temporary, but if ever New York wins the Olympic Games bidding, there will certainly be many job opportunities in the language area and otherwise.

If she likes teaching and working with children, maybe she could come up with programs within museums to enhance children's appreciation of art (either freelance or as a staff member).

Substituting: she might end up teaching maths or Latin even if she has no skills in either...

I think private schools are more lenient, when it comes to degrees. She may want to check it out.

5. globetrotter

she really misses teaching. what she is most intersted in doing would be to teach 2 or so clases a year at a community college. it is less for the money and more to feel like she is doing something. She just isn't sure if she can get a job at a college without a PhD (even though she has so much good teaching experience) and she isn't sure that a prep school would want an art history teacher who doesn't do applied art.

I don't know if she would be willing to vollenteer at a museum, after being a curator it would be very hard to be a vollenteer.

thanks

6. Aaron

Aaron Distinguished Member

All the previous suggestions have been great. I would add that a growing number of undergrad prof's that I've encountered don't have PhD's. As most universities become more corporate they hire on shorter and shorter contracts which is squeezing out tenured professors. Her previous lecturing experience is a valuable asset and I don't think she'll have trouble finding undergrad courses to teach whether it be at the community college or university level.

As you mentioned before she might want to consider auction houses and/or dealers. I believe in NYC especially her language skills could be a valuable asset. Good luck.

A.

7. PHV

PHV Senior Member

Prep schools are pretty stringent on qualifications. From the sounds of it, she'd be fine.

Prep schools pay better than public schools, but they require far more duties ie: coaching a sport, running an extra curricular activity, being on duty in the dorms etc...

8. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Distinguished Member

I'm hiring, she could get some great deals on GRENSONS.

9. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

Now that would be one HELL of a commute [​IMG]

10. Fabienne

I wasn't suggesting she volunteer. As a freelancer, she can set up her own fees, propose her own programs, or work for an agency that finds jobs for her (and she can agree or decline offers as they come). It takes a while and quite a bit of footwork to set up relationships within a community, but the end result is that you are in charge. If she has a passion, something she believes in regarding art, and feels she can offer it to a school, university, company or museum, then I feel she could be successful. To give you an example, a few years ago, I "sold" a school on a particular "before school" program I was teaching. It was extremely rewarding for me and the kids, and my fees were more than appropriate. After that, I had offers at other schools. I really miss teaching... [​IMG] I also feel she has a good chance at a community college. I know several people who taught in that setting without a PhD.

11. globetrotter

(globetrotter @ Mar. 10 2005,13:19) she really misses teaching. what she is most intersted in doing would be to teach 2 or so clases a year at a community college. it is less for the money and more to feel like she is doing something. She just isn't sure if she can get a job at a college without a PhD (even though she has so much good teaching experience) and she isn't sure that a prep school would want an art history teacher who doesn't do applied art. I don't know if she would be willing to vollenteer at a museum, after being a curator it would be very hard to be a vollenteer. thanks
    I wasn't suggesting she volunteer. As a freelancer, she can set up her own fees, propose her own programs, or work for an agency that finds jobs for her (and she can agree or decline offers as they come). It takes a while and quite a bit of footwork to set up relationships within a community, but the end result is that you are in charge. If she has a passion, something she believes in regarding art, and feels she can offer it to a school, university, company or museum, then I feel she could be successful. To give you an example, a few years ago, I "sold" a school on a particular "before school" program I was teaching. Â It was extremely rewarding for me and the kids, and my fees were more than appropriate. Â After that, I had offers at other schools. Â I really miss teaching... Â [​IMG] I also feel she has a good chance at a community college. Â I know several people who taught in that setting without a PhD.
    thanks. she actually thought about setting up a business to teach short programs to schools on Classic art and archeology. I am not sure what she would have to do to get it running, but a lot of her friends are heigh school teachers, and she may be able to do somehthing like that.

12. globetrotter

thanks Chris, she could come home weekends, and you could pay her in shoes..

13. Fabienne

Hey, I'd be interested in something like that for my son. She needs to start talking to people, it looks like. Another idea, probably less conventional, would be for her to see if she couldn't collaborate with an artist, painter, sculptor, theater director. Do you still have Christo in town? [​IMG]

14. 4Mica

4Mica Senior Member

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

15. craig

craig Active Member

Both my parents are teachers at a Day school. They have taught in private schools for nearly 30 years, and I don't believe you need certifications for private schools. She might want to check into some of the pvt schools in Manhatten. Sounds like she would be a fantastic asset to any day school.