1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Care of Ferragamo Suede?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by UK2004, Jan 22, 2008.

1. UK2004

UK2004 Senior member

Recently bought these Ferragamo shoes and worrid to wear them as they may mark easily, should I spray them before wearing or will it ruin the look, they are lovely shoes want to keep them looking lovely.
    [​IMG]

2. mhdena

mhdena Senior member

Scotchgard may help against stains, but light colored shoes will still get dirty more easily than darker shoes. Use a suede brush

3. UK2004

UK2004 Senior member

Will the suede brush rough the suede up though?

4. mhdena

mhdena Senior member

A suede brush is meant to brush away dust that may have settled on the shoes. It won't clean dirty shoes. Normal use is what its for.

5. mhdena

mhdena Senior member

A suede brush is meant to brush away dust that may have settled on the shoes. It won't clean dirty shoes. Normal use is what its for.

6. Ricardo Malocchio

Ricardo Malocchio Senior member

Is scotchguarding or some other treatment generally recommended for suedes, or will this come at some cost to the look of the shoe (assume a very dark shoe)?

7. jsherman02

jsherman02 Senior member

I would spray them....I have a similar color and the spray 3M I use never changed the color.

8. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I have a couple of pairs of suede ferragamo loafers, including one pair in that same light brown. As long as you're not silly/unlucky in what you walk into, a suede brush is all the care they need.

9. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

I have found that brushing is not enough and that seude shoes need cleaning from time to time.

Shoes are exposed to an incredible amount of dust and dirt by reason of tramping on dirty city streets and dusty country trails. Even in a "clean house" there will be a good amount of dust on the floor. Just go down on the floor, and see for yourself!

I have found that my brown and black suedes have taken-on a grey hue. A cleaning at the shoemaker has freshened the appearance and has taken away the grey hue. Generally, a cleaning will both highlight and darken the color.

Good luck.

10. UK2004

UK2004 Senior member

Have another pair of black ones nd after a couple of wears and idiots stepping on them they already have some whitish marks, should I brush and spray them or is this damage irreperable?