1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Care of Cordovan

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by shuman, Nov 25, 2004.

1. shuman

shuman Well-Known Member

I have read that you shouldnt need to polish shell cordovan shoes. I have also had people tell me to use only a regular shoe polish, and that AE, etc. sell a cordovan product. I have a pair of AE Macneils that I want to take care of, and I want to be sure i'm doing it correctly. Thanks.

2. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Polish, but rarely, and use much less polish than you would for calf. In the meantime, buff with a little water to bring the shine back.

3. FCS

FCS Well-Known Member

Is the chemical composition different for your typical calfskin polish wax to, say, Alden shell cordovan wax? Can't find shell cordovan wax around here.

4. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

Why?

I polish every pair of shoes after each wearing. Including cordovan. No problem.

I have had black Alden cordovans for about 5 years now of regular wear. They have been professionally re-soled I wear them so much. And they look brand new. There are literally no creases, not even the "rippled" effect that you generally see with cordovan. My father has some calf shoes that he has worn for 20-25 years, after polishing every time he wears them. Regular polishing keeps the leather healthy and strong, prevents cracking that results from little bits of dirt and dust that you can't even see cutitng into the leather. I simply don't understand this reluctance to polishing.

Again, I polish all my shoes after every wearing. And they are some of the healthiest looking shoes you will see...

Happy thanksgiving.

5. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I find that the polish builds up if I polish cordovan too often. I've read (or heard) that cordovan has more natural fats and oils in the leather and therefore does not need so much polish. I polish about once a month, and buff with water at every wearing. Works like a charm.

6. mistahlee

mistahlee Well-Known Member

My experience is the same.  Recently, I sent a pair of brown cordovans to Alden for reconditioning.  Hoping it gets rid of the gummy build up.

7. Kai

Kai Well-Known Member

Same with me.

I polish them less, and use a paste wax polish, not a cream.

8. matcha

matcha Well-Known Member

I recently talked to the Alden sales rep at their trunk show. He said polish with wax but not with cream.

9. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

Adam Knott of Alden of Carmel recommends that cordovan shoes should only be polished infrequently. Check website(www.Alden of Carmel.com) for catologue in regard to polishing of cordovan shoes.

10. ROI

ROI Well-Known Member

Horween's recommends Zoes' Venetian Shoe Cream. (Don't read the contents.)

11. mistahlee

mistahlee Well-Known Member

On Christmas eve, my cordovan shoes came back from an Alden restoration.  The result is mostly pleasing and I thought you gentlemen might like to see a picture.  The character imparted by years of wear still shows, of course, but the finish on the uppers is much shinier than when they were new, even.  Will I be able to keep that shine using wax, as opposed to polish?

12. kabert

kabert Well-Known Member

Nice looking shoes.