• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Care of color corrected (polished bookbinder Church's) shoes

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, I know, I risk having my ISP blocked for admitting this, but after trying on a pair Church's Graftons at Nordstroms (and having the salesman incorrectly telling me they were Shell Cordovan) I kind of came to like the look of the Polished Sandlewood bookbinder, and when I came across a great deal on them, I picked up a pair.

So, having admitted my shameful truth, owning corrected grain shoes, what do I do to take care of them. I know they are not going to patina over time, but does conditioner help at all? Anyone have any experience with this finish. Do I color match them with creme, or wax...what do you think?

mystal

Reaction score
just wondering, how much did you get them for? i got a pair at the saks sale for $185 or so but not sure if I should keep them, after reading about them on this forum.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got them for about that price, and frankly, I think Church gets more crap than they deserve here. I like their shoes a lot, and will likely get more when the chance presents itself. I'll probably not get more polished binder, but I don't think the shoes took such a hit following the Prada purchase, and I'm not alone in those feelings. I'd still like any advice for care anyone has.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wipe with damp cloth. Use a brush if you prefer.

I wouldn't polish or condition them at all. I don't think they absorb much of anything. Most of any lotion you rub on it will kind of "sit" on the surface until something else touches it. Conditioner might help them look marginally better when they are 20 years old, but that's only a slight possibility.

The great advantage of corrected grain is that there is little or no maintenance involved. Kick back and bask in that glory.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have one pair of Church's left (when I was younger, all my dress shoes were Church's), a pair of Shannon's from the late 1980s:

shannon_blackpol.jpg

At that time, the Bookbinder Church's were positioned higher than the "Custom Grade" line...astonishing, I know. According to unhealthy Bondaholics, Daniel Craig sports Shannons in some scences in the recent movie.

As for care: I've had them shined like any other shoe, and they are approaching two decades without a resole. I wear them maybe two or three times a year, though...

- B

Leather man

Reaction score
Church's do recommend you polish them just like any other shoe. It is true they don't absorb the polish but it gives a protective coating and keeps them looking nice.

The repair department assured me that PB shoes that have not been polished come in to them in a worse state than ones that have. I can't think of the reason to be truthful but I am taking their word for it and have polished mine for the years I've had Church's PB shoes.

thecentennial

Reaction score
Resurrecting an old thread - my searches have proven fruitless.

Does anyone know if the Church's recrafting service would repair scuffs in polished binder?

I have a pair with quite bad scuffs to the binder surface, they are not "gouges" but the surface has been removed. Polish will not cover these scuffs due to the nature of binder.

Will Church's re-apply the binder coating to cover the scuffs?

I've sent Churchs an email to ask the same question, was wondering if anyone here has any experience.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Churchs bookbinder is the only acceptable corrected grain on SF if that helps and then only some....:butbut:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Churchs bookbinder is the only acceptable corrected grain on SF if that helps and then only some....:butbut:

Would you be so kind as to specifically state why you believe this to be so? Also please provide a detailed analysis of the properties of the corrected grain used by Church's compared against at least 3 other manufacturers of corrected grain, thay all may understand your claim.

Last edited:

martinottawa

Reaction score
In case anyone is still curious, I recently sent my PB Shannons in for the Church's repair service, and specifically asked them to something (if they could) about a couple of scuffs that had gone through the binder. They didn't do anything, and they also didn't do a very good job with repairing the linings either. That's the last time I blow £90 + shipping on their service...

I was wondering though (maybe Nick V could answer) - Is there some kind of dye that could be used to at least colour in any scuffs? I know it wouldn't look good as new, but at least maybe the colour could be made to match?

Leather man

Reaction score
My experience results from owning several pairs of Church's Polished Binder leather shoes. The "scuffs" are more like a bruising of the finish - they seem permanent - at least I have never been able to remove them.

What I cannot understand is why even on SF pre -Prada Bookbinder goes uncriticised but post Prada Bookbinder ( then renamed Polished Binder - same stuff) is held up as a sign that Church's are going down hill. You see many examples of corrected grain Bookbinder Church's dating fromt he '50s onwards and occassionally the pictures are posted on here to rapturous applause. Totally illogical!

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My experience results from owning several pairs of Church's Polished Binder leather shoes. The "scuffs" are more like a bruising of the finish - they seem permanent - at least I have never been able to remove them.
What I cannot understand is why even on SF pre -Prada Bookbinder goes uncriticised but post Prada Bookbinder ( then renamed Polished Binder - same stuff) is held up as a sign that Church's are going down hill. You see many examples of corrected grain Bookbinder Church's dating fromt he '50s onwards and occassionally the pictures are posted on here to rapturous applause. Totally illogical!

I have seen polished binder on McCanns from the 40s on the heel counters that is in near perfect condition. But Church shoes with serious binder scuffs from whatever era are kaput as far as removing the scuff. Yet even a lot of top Italian shoes like de Tomasso are using binder.

Last edited:

ijustknow

Reaction score
Try some Venetian cream. Works great on bookbinder and cordovan finishes/leathers.
Oh dear, that is new.
Are you suggesting Venetian Shoe Cream has great cosmetic function?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads