• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Care for shell cordovan color #8- Alden longwings 975

izzyfuld

Reaction score
hi guys, i recently picked up a sweet pair of the Alden longwing 975. Its been a couple of weeks now and i think its time to give them some TLC. I've heard a lot of good about the brand saphir and their products. what do you guys think about them? I want to hear some techniques on care and polish for these great shoes.

izzyfuld

Reaction score
you dont use any colored wax or polish with them?

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You want to use as little cream polish as possible as infrequently as possible. Do a search for the "Mac Method".

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No need for any polish, ever.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's a video from Horween on this I will post later.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No need to polish shell ever, renovateur provides enough of a shine. Crema Alpina gives an even better shine if you can find it.

scuffs just buff out?

Most of them do yes. Using the inside of an athletic sock you can buff out some really bad scratches if you use enough elbow grease. The buffing will mar the surface a bit though, to bring back the shine just apply renovateur. For the worst scratches I have some creme cordovan from Saphir...rarely necessary though.

Last edited:

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For many years, I have been using the occasional dab of sno-seal waterproofer on my cordovan shoes.

http://www.amazon.com/Sno-Seal-7-oz/dp/B005L9EEHU

It's a beeswax based product. After a while, when the buffing and brushing can't restore the original luster of the leather, I've found that working in a modest amount of sno-seal into the shoes really rejuvenates them.

So, my routine is buffing and brushing, with occasional (very light) applications of paste wax, and occasional (very light) applications of sno-seal.

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No need for any polish, ever.

why is that? in my understanding a conditioner adds more unneeded than creme, anyway. so i assume you're just overfeeding with conditioner, not?

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why is that? in my understanding a conditioner adds more unneeded than creme, anyway. so i assume you're just overfeeding with conditioner, not?

Shell doesn't need cream polish because it doesn't need additional pigment, and it doesn't need polish (either cream or wax) to get a nice shine. Some people claim that the turpentine in cream polishes actually damages the shell; I don't know. What would it mean to "overfeed"? I don't add very much at a time, and I don't think I do it too frequently... so feed, yes. But overfeed, hopefully not. What I do know is that Renovateur improves the appearance of the leather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads