• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Care for Pull-Up Leather

clemente21

Reaction score
I just got my first pair of nice leather shoes, the Indianolas from Billy Reid (http://www.billyreid.com/?cat=73#403.0655). It's pull-up leather with a calfskin interior. What sort of conditioner should I get for them? Do I need a specific sort of shoe tree? Any general tips?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nothing overly special. Shoe trees, Saphir Renovateur will do great.

mrjames

Reaction score
pull up leather will change colour when it bends- and it will react with the oils in your skin causing a colour change- they will age nicely, but drastically

i'd be interested to see them in a years time

definitely keep them away from water, and condition them with any leather conditioner. I don't think you'd need anything specific

edit: yeah i'd keep polish away from them, uncoated leather and polish don't mix too well- if you need to restore the colour you have to use special dye designed for pull up leather

clemente21

Reaction score
I know that this a totally ridiculous question, and these things have been discussed here before, but how exactly are shoes like this suposed to fit (I'm so used to sneakers). Is it OK to have a little bit of looseness around the ankle?

mrjames

Reaction score
Originally Posted by clemente21
I know that this a totally ridiculous question, and these things have been discussed here before, but how exactly are shoes like this suposed to fit (I'm so used to sneakers). Is it OK to have a little bit of looseness around the ankle?

judging from the shape of the shoe the high ankle is a bit superflous compared to a desert boot so a bit of looseness is fine. But I see they're unlined shoes, which will stretch, so i'd go too small and let them stretch out rather than too tight.

Wear them for a day (in the house) and it'l be obvious if they fit or not. if they are indeed too big and you can't return them, spray the inside with water and dry it with a hair-dryer, this will shrink the shoe

mrjames

Reaction score
it just doesn't seem obvious. they don't wiggle, but at the same time really aren't fully clinging to my ankle when I raise my foot.
also - if i wear socks with them, will they not get the oils they need to change color?

aha, the oils come from your hands not your feet
laugh.gif

if you can walk around without them feeling like they're going to slip off then you walk then they're probably fine, You can always slip some padding in round the top if you think it would help, maybe go talk to a cobbler/bootmaker

don't worry, there is no way these will look anything other than amazing- pull up leather ages well

clemente21

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Nothing overly special. Shoe trees, Saphir Renovateur will do great.

Can you apply Saphir with your hands? (now that i know that's where there the oils are. which is a shame - I liked the idea that my foot oils were somehow doing something useful for me).

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you apply Saphir with your hands? (now that i know that's where there the oils are. which is a shame - I liked the idea that my foot oils were somehow doing something useful for me).
You should at the very least use a rag.
smile.gif
Ok, serious answer, yeah you can but probably gloves or feet stand would be good.

mrjames

Reaction score
i always apply renovateur with my hands- seriously, I do all my polishing with just my hands except for wax polish which I use cotton wool for

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrjames
i always apply renovateur with my hands- seriously, I do all my polishing with just my hands except for wax polish which I use cotton wool for

Polish can sometimes be toxic, and can also stain skin.

I always wear glove and use brush. Then buff with Cotton Cloth. Only use the Brush on shells and suedes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads