• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cardio that doesn't require much use of legs?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhateverYouLike
It's hard to get your heart rate up in 10 seconds
lol8[1].gif

Then get a bunch of guys and go at it all night. The only required use of your legs is spreading them.

tky56

Reaction score
Originally Posted by caphill
Yes, rowers utilize the legs, but not really the calf muscles. I row regularly and my calf muscles never feel a thing. Now the rest of my legs...

As a rower, calf muscles are part of the set of muscles used for the initial part of the drive.

WhateverYouLike, it sounds like an upper body ergometer, like this one, would be perfect for you.

fluid_ube_hero.jpg

Good luck with the recovery.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RVAduffer
my gym has an elliptical type machine rowing machine that only utilizes your arms. have no idea what it is called by you are basically using your hands to pedal like your feet would pedal a bike. mostly used for rehab i would think.

That's called an arm bike. If more regular gyms had them, probably fewer gym-goers would later need rehab.

brimley

Reaction score
I can't imagine arm bikes work very well. First rule of cardio is the use the big muscles, right? I think swimming would be about five times more efficient, even without the kicking.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by caphill
Yes, rowers utilize the legs, but not really the calf muscles. I row regularly and my calf muscles never feel a thing. Now the rest of my legs...

Having rowed on and off for 20 years I can vow for this to be a falsehood. Certainly the first quarter of the stroke your calvemuscles play a big part in the movement.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tky56
As a rower, calf muscles are part of the set of muscles used for the initial part of the drive.

WhateverYouLike, it sounds like an upper body ergometer, like this one, would be perfect for you.

fluid_ube_hero.jpg

Good luck with the recovery.

I've always thought it was called the windjammer.

Originally Posted by nyf
I can't imagine arm bikes work very well. First rule of cardio is the use the big muscles, right? I think swimming would be about five times more efficient, even without the kicking.

Try it. It will kick your ass. Before ever having used it, I was of the same opinion as you. No more.

Originally Posted by Kev07
shadowboxing/punching bag

Shadowboxing requires that you use good footwork, if you are doing it correctly. Similarly, if you are going to hit the heavy bag with anything but weak arm punches, you are going to drive your punch through your hips and legs, so, probably not a great idea.

The windjammer is your friend. If you are strong and coordinated and fairly lean, another great thing to do is a pushup, pull your legs in (harder on one leg, so a better workout), power up, do a pullup. Drop down to a crouch, shoot your legs out. Push up. Repeat.

Tardek

Reaction score
Swimming. You can just pull yourself along with your arms and let your legs dangle. Swimming is massive cardio.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
If you are strong and coordinated and fairly lean, another great thing to do is a pushup, pull your legs in (harder on one leg, so a better workout), power up, do a pullup. Drop down to a crouch, shoot your legs out. Push up. Repeat.

Oh man. Burpees plus a pullup. Regular burpees are enough for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads