• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cardigans

colin

Reaction score
I got this black Polo cardigan and i was wondering how to rock it without looking like either a.) hipster b.) old guy reading a story to children. How do you guys wear your cardigans (if you have 'em), or how would you.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to use the words 'cardigan' and 'rock' in the same sentence. You're talking about an actual button-front cardigan, right? Not a zip-front sweater? There's only two ways a cardigan can be worn by a young guy. Ironically - resulting in 'hipster', or unironically, resulting in 'wound-too-tight-youth-group-leader'. EDIT: Unless it buttons really, really high, in which case it might actually look kinda sophisticated.

marc37

Reaction score
Cardigans are my favourite clothing items in my closet. So very comfy.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very fitted, over an even slimmer untucked white or pink button up with a very short hem and with 2 buttons undone.  Slim, Dark jeans and classic sneakers (black and white).  You've got to be skinny to pull this off. Marc Jacobs apparently wears this when he can't wear his usual jeans and t-shirts.

Eric

Reaction score
Its too tough to find button up cardi's these days.

I have a few zip ups that I enjoy wearing often, but I probably fall into one of those categories you listed depending on who's judging me. Its tough not to look like either a "hipster" whatever that means, or Mr. Rogers.

I would assume that if your used to dressing well, your probably used to not caring what others think also, since the two go primarily hand in hand. Don't worry about what others think, just wear what YOU think is cool.

Eric

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got this black Polo cardigan and i was wondering how to rock it without looking like either a.) hipster b.) old guy reading a story to children. How do you guys wear your cardigans (if you have 'em), or how would you.
Well -- neither hipster nor I hope old guy reading to his children (though I fear the latter), nor even rockin':

a) over collared shirt (button-down or tennis collar)
b) over white or grey t-shirt or navy.

either a or b with levis, khakis, old pair of odd-trousers (usually grey, light worsted, from Andover Shop).

Not very rockin' I would think but, woop, there it is.

benchan

Reaction score
Wearing a cardigan is one of the biggest trend this coming fall. It will not be preceived as an item exclusively for old folks and hipsters if that's what you are worrying about.

I suggest wear it with lavendar shirt and ascot underneath.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought one cardigan (with a zip) from Fabrizio del Carlo on saturday. It was a combination of yellow, white, pale blue and red : it looks great with a faded beige pair of jeans. And it is very slim, so I can wear it bare. There is a picture of it somewhere in a thread I started. <edited to link crappy picture> Luc

chocoball

Reaction score
Cardigans are great, especially since I sneeze uncontrollably whenever I slip a pullover over my head.

I've got two favourite brands. One is Gieves &amp; Hawkes. They make very durable, comfy and warm cashmere/silk blend cardies. Very traditional, Mr Rogers-type styling with big shell buttons. I've got one in dark grey and one in camel. Wear them with a big knotted tie and the bottom button undone when I don't feel like wearing a jacket....maybe I'm going to a dinner/movie with my wife after work.

Other brand is Shanghai Snowflake. 100% cashmere, similar styling to my Gieves ones, but slightly thinner ply and less fitted. Plastic buttons which I replaced with shell. I've got a lavender one and a black one. Wear them with jeans, loafers and a t-shirt, unbuttoned.

Etruscan

Reaction score
I have several cardigans, of both zip and button-type, wear them often and never worry that I'll be mistaken for anyone's grampa. I suppose it's all in how you layer and accessorize them. Here's a tip: if you avoid Keds and don't stuff a tissue up your sleeve, you, too, can wear a cardigan without adding decades to your age.
tounge.gif

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr. Rogers rocked.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to use the words 'cardigan' and 'rock' in the same sentence. You're talking about an actual button-front cardigan, right? Not a zip-front sweater? There's only two ways a cardigan can be worn by a young guy. Ironically - resulting in 'hipster', or unironically, resulting in 'wound-too-tight-youth-group-leader'. EDIT: Unless it buttons really, really high, in which case it might actually look kinda sophisticated.
I like the button-up sweater in the picture, but it is not a cardigan. Jon.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
i love cardigans, they are a nice alternative to a jacket to take the chills off and easier to manipulate than a pullover jumper. i have mostly thin weight ones, modern and vintage. i like to wear em with a tshirt or polo underneath. a buttondown shirt+cardigan is almost a sure way to don the Mr Rogers look but i like that look as well. i pair that with slim fit trousers/chiseltoe shoes or dark jeans/trainers

i think the way you get perceived (mr rogers/hipster) is gonna depend on how YOU look

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads