1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

cardigans

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by colin, Mar 20, 2005.

1. colin

colin Member

I got this black Polo cardigan and i was wondering how to rock it without looking like either a.) hipster b.) old guy reading a story to children. How do you guys wear your cardigans (if you have 'em), or how would you.

2. Nick M

Nick M Distinguished Member

I'm pretty sure it's illegal to use the words 'cardigan' and 'rock' in the same sentence. You're talking about an actual button-front cardigan, right? Not a zip-front sweater? There's only two ways a cardigan can be worn by a young guy. Ironically - resulting in 'hipster', or unironically, resulting in 'wound-too-tight-youth-group-leader'. EDIT: Unless it buttons really, really high, in which case it might actually look kinda sophisticated. [​IMG]

3. marc37

marc37 Senior Member

Cardigans are my favourite clothing items in my closet. So very comfy.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Very fitted, over an even slimmer untucked white or pink button up with a very short hem and with 2 buttons undone.  Slim, Dark jeans and classic sneakers (black and white).  You've got to be skinny to pull this off. Marc Jacobs apparently wears this when he can't wear his usual jeans and t-shirts.

5. Eric

Eric Senior Member

Its too tough to find button up cardi's these days.

I have a few zip ups that I enjoy wearing often, but I probably fall into one of those categories you listed depending on who's judging me. Its tough not to look like either a "hipster" whatever that means, or Mr. Rogers.

I would assume that if your used to dressing well, your probably used to not caring what others think also, since the two go primarily hand in hand. Don't worry about what others think, just wear what YOU think is cool.

Eric

6. Horace

Horace Distinguished Member

Well -- neither hipster nor I hope old guy reading to his children (though I fear the latter), nor even rockin':

a) over collared shirt (button-down or tennis collar)
    b) over white or grey t-shirt or navy.

either a or b with levis, khakis, old pair of odd-trousers (usually grey, light worsted, from Andover Shop).

Not very rockin' I would think but, woop, there it is.

7. benchan

benchan Senior Member

Wearing a cardigan is one of the biggest trend this coming fall. It will not be preceived as an item exclusively for old folks and hipsters if that's what you are worrying about.

I suggest wear it with lavendar shirt and ascot underneath.

8. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Distinguished Member

I bought one cardigan (with a zip) from Fabrizio del Carlo on saturday. It was a combination of yellow, white, pale blue and red : it looks great with a faded beige pair of jeans. And it is very slim, so I can wear it bare. There is a picture of it somewhere in a thread I started. [​IMG] <edited to link crappy picture> Luc

9. chocoball

chocoball Senior Member

Cardigans are great, especially since I sneeze uncontrollably whenever I slip a pullover over my head.

I've got two favourite brands. One is Gieves &amp; Hawkes. They make very durable, comfy and warm cashmere/silk blend cardies. Very traditional, Mr Rogers-type styling with big shell buttons. I've got one in dark grey and one in camel. Wear them with a big knotted tie and the bottom button undone when I don't feel like wearing a jacket....maybe I'm going to a dinner/movie with my wife after work.

Other brand is Shanghai Snowflake. 100% cashmere, similar styling to my Gieves ones, but slightly thinner ply and less fitted. Plastic buttons which I replaced with shell. I've got a lavender one and a black one. Wear them with jeans, loafers and a t-shirt, unbuttoned.

10. Etruscan

Etruscan Senior Member

I have several cardigans, of both zip and button-type, wear them often and never worry that I'll be mistaken for anyone's grampa. I suppose it's all in how you layer and accessorize them. Here's a tip: if you avoid Keds and don't stuff a tissue up your sleeve, you, too, can wear a cardigan without adding decades to your age. [​IMG]

11. Kai

Kai Distinguished Member

Mr. Rogers rocked.

12. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

I like the button-up sweater in the picture, but it is not a cardigan. Jon.

13. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

i love cardigans, they are a nice alternative to a jacket to take the chills off and easier to manipulate than a pullover jumper. i have mostly thin weight ones, modern and vintage. i like to wear em with a tshirt or polo underneath. a buttondown shirt+cardigan is almost a sure way to don the Mr Rogers look but i like that look as well. i pair that with slim fit trousers/chiseltoe shoes or dark jeans/trainers

i think the way you get perceived (mr rogers/hipster) is gonna depend on how YOU look

14. Charles Rogers

Charles Rogers Senior Member

Thanks.

15. Will

Will Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

From the fifties:

gray cashmere cardigan
    blue twill shirt
    brown grenadine necktie
    dark gray flannels
    tobacco suede semibrogues
    tobacco suede belt