• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cardigan and Tie, Thoughts?

CoryB

Reaction score
There was a thread a few months back criticizing this this look. I was playing around put on an thick, textured tie; fairly slim fit cardigan; and coordinating shirt. I've already received one "no" from family, but I still think I'll wear it out next cooler day. My outfit is Zegna tie, Le Chateau cardigan, Gap shirt (fantastically slim), and RRL jeans. Did it work well?* I'm planning on wearing with one of these three shoes. The black captoe for a monocromatic look, brown because they look fantastic with slim jeans, or the tweed for a fun callback to the trad origins. This is the most accurate colors. *My style is pretty preppy

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Narrower, plainer tie. Tighter knot. Unbutton top button and pull tie down a bit. Pull that collar up so it's covering more of your neck. Then you should be good. Wear the brown shoes.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Basically agree with J but I would go for a plainer (solid coloured) cardigan and a livelier tie.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
That would work too, I guess. But my main issue is that the tie looks too businesslike. Stripes or solids are a better bet for this type of thing.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Max

Reaction score
Exactly what J said.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
imo, a cardigan/tie combo looks best when it's really smart and clean, which means tucking in your shirt, getting a slimmer tie, getting a simpler cardigan (pref not a zip up either), and having some seriously awesome shoes. It's a tough look since the line between 'cool' and 'hipster trying too hard' is really thin. When I'm out and see a guy wearing tie/cardi my first reaction tends to be to punch him in the face since most guys fall into the "hipster trying hard" category.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
imo, a cardigan/tie combo looks best when it's really smart and clean
Who am I disagree with the master? Still, I disagree, sort of - I prefer this look rumpled and untucked. Def agree on the narrower, plainer tie thing, though. Also, Braid's wearing a v, so it's sort of a different story. In general, does this work better with a wider "scoop" on the cardi - i.e., a much lower top button, a la AA (for want of a better example)? I think it might...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
I prefer this look rumpled and untucked. ...

I can't get over the rumpled look being an LA hipster-emo style, like someone that gets his fashion cues looking at the latest Urban Outfitters catalog

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I can finally say I've got a decent cardigan, tie outfit. I'll post it later...

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I can't get over the rumpled look being an LA hipster-emo style, like someone that gets his fashion cues looking at the latest Urban Outfitters catalog

You really know how to hurt a guy's feelings...
frown.gif

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just f***in' around, but seriously...

You're right that rumpled is a bit trendy, but there's sometimes a legitimately sound aesthetic driving a given trend. However, smart and clean as done by you def works, as it is clear you're paying homage to a classic look (hence your emphasis on "seriously awesome shoes"). I should also add that I do most things at least slightly rumpled, so maybe it's just a fundamental difference in our approach to these things...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
yea totally. if we all dressed the same, it'd be pretty dull.

I find that I approach certain looks with more leeway than others....the tie/cardigan, for me, has one of the least amount...as a matter of personal pref.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads