• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Carb cutters, need some advice.

Monaco

Reaction score
I've been eating a high amount of complex carbs lately which explains hitting the wall at 10%body fat. I just went around and estimated that I take in about 200g/day and need to cut at least half, if not more to start losing bodyfat again.

My question is, for those that are cutting fat or even gaining muscle or if you want to get fat (bigguts.com), how many grams of carbs are you taking in?

My stats:
weight: 162
height: 6ft
bodyfat: 10%

I want my abs to start showing more than the little peek-a-boo action I'm currently getting, hopefully this, coupled with extra cardio is what will get me closer to my goals.

Jsquxe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Monaco
I've been eating a high amount of complex carbs lately which explains hitting the wall at 10%body fat. I just went around and estimated that I take in about 200g/day and need to cut at least half, if not more to start losing bodyfat again.

My question is, for those that are cutting fat or even gaining muscle or if you want to get fat (bigguts.com), how many grams of carbs are you taking in?

My stats:
weight: 162
height: 6ft
bodyfat: 10%

I want my abs to start showing more than the little peek-a-boo action I'm currently getting, hopefully this, coupled with extra cardio is what will get me closer to my goals.

up protein, cut carbs, lift heavy, lower volume, low intensity cardio

Rikkar501

Reaction score
Yup, you need to cut those carbs down. Eat a couple servings of fruit a day consisting of about 30-50g each and about 50g pre-workout. Increase your protein intake, lift heavy so your body has a reason to keep the muscle instead of breaking it down for energy, and I guess you could throw in a little low intensity cardio. Basically what Jsquxe, with just a bit more detail
smile.gif
. Oh, and double check your BF %; use calipers if you can, don't rely on a scale too inaccurate.

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-150 grams/day

i've been on a 0-carb diet since i was 3 weeks old, my body literally generates its own essential carbs yo

Monaco

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips everybody, today was the first day on my 50g carbs/day program. Sorry to say I've already failed, as of now I'm up to ~60g and will hit 70g with my post workout shake. After that, I have no idea what I'm going to do with dinner because I'm usually starving after my work outs. Today has been a bit difficult day for my stomach, which is hungry as I type.

Breakfast - 1 banana and hot water w lemon (27g carbs)
snack - 1 apple (20g carbs)
Lunch - water with glucomanann powder (for fiber) and snacked on fiber cereal (18g carbs)
Essential vitamin drink - 4g carbs
Workout shake - isopure chocolate 1 scoop, 1 tbsp psyllium husk, non fat milk powder and water (10g)
Drink water all day.

All estimates are liberal to be on the safe side. And I must eat fiber all day because I get constipated if I'm not taking in proper fiber. Should I be counting fruits and veggies into my 50/day carb intake?

What should I do about dinner so that I'm not starving? but I also get my proper nutrients? and will be on the low side of carbs?

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Monaco
Thanks for the tips everybody, today was the first day on my 50g carbs/day program. Sorry to say I've already failed, as of now I'm up to ~55g and will hit 65g with my post workout shake. After that, I have no idea what I'm going to do with dinner because I'm usually starving after my work outs. Today has been a bit difficult day for my stomach, which is hungry as I type.

Breakfast - 1 banana and hot water w lemon (27g carbs)
snack - 1 apple (20g carbs)
Lunch - water with glucomanann powder (for fiber) and snacked on fiber cereal (18g carbs)
Workout shake - isopure chocolate 1 scoop, 1 tbsp psyllium husk, non fat milk powder and water (10g)
Drink water all day.

All estimates are liberal to be on the safe side. And I must eat fiber all day because I get constipated if I'm not constantly taking in fiber. Should I be counting fruits and veggies into my 50/day carb intake?

What should I do about dinner so that I'm not starving? but I also get my proper nutrients? and will be on the low side of carbs?

That's all you eat? Jesus, I'd be starving on that diet. And we're the same size.

Monaco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArteEtLabore14
That's all you eat? Jesus, I'd be starving on that diet. And we're the same size.
You bet your ass I'm starving...haha I really don't know what to do as I've never really restricted my carbs but I do want to lose more body fat, I don't really know how to go about a proper carb cutting diet and I have no idea how my energy levels are going to be like for my workout...I just had an essential vitamins drink worth 4g carbs.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, buy some eggs and cheese and stop posting.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why bother trying to loose body fat? 10%, if it is an actual 10% and not internet 10%, is really good. Add about 10 pounds of muscle and you're good to go and you'll have a weight that you can actually maintain for years to come.
I'm ten years older than you and the same height. If I weighed 162 I'd be dead.

Monaco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
Wow, buy some eggs and cheese and stop posting.

was your mom mean to you as a child? stop being so angry, you're now blocked.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I am carb cycling my low end is usually 80-100g a day, kept to breakfast and then PWO or pre and PWO.

I'm doing Keto right now so added carbs (beyond those in almods etc) are zero M-F.

Monaco

Reaction score
Should I cut carbs until I reach my goal or stagger days/weeks?

Valor

Reaction score
if you're 100% serious about getting a 6 pack, you probably will need to cut carbs for 6+ weeks while doing cardio its pretty much a commitment to be perpetually starving and hating your life.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Valor
if you're 100% serious about getting a 6 pack, you probably will need to cut carbs for 6+ weeks while doing cardio its pretty much a commitment to be perpetually starving and hating your life.

And you won't be much fun either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads