• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Car Wax

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What product do you guys use for your cars?

I've use Griots Best of Show Wax, Japon Zymol, Meguire's NXT, Klasse and Pinnacle and a combo of the aforementioned.

Meguire's I thought was the best. I saw the Liquid Lustre at a car show and it looked easy to apply and remove. any thoughts?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Car fanatics claim that different waxes work better on different paint formulations. Car Care Specialties (www.carcareonline.com) had a pretty good writeup on this stuff although their website appears to be having trouble right now.

CliffClavin

Reaction score
I use Pinnacle Souveran on my weekend toys and Poorboy's EX Sealant on the daily driver. The Sealant lasts a good deal longer with only a marginal loss in slickness and shine. Good enough prep (clay, polish, etc) with a Porter Cable or rotary and most waxes/sealants will look quite good.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An excerpt from their articles on car care:

These are some of my favorite waxes. There are positive and negative attributes to each one. There is no such thing as the “right” wax. If your car is a daily driver and is left out in the mud, rain and sun all day, then you may consider One Grand Blitz Wax. If on the other hand you have a “garage queen” that sees sunlight on weekends only, you may consider the new P21S Concour Look Carnauba Wax.

BLITZ WAX...A quality Carnauba wax that produces a deep, durable shine and protects against the harmful elements. Contains no cleaners or abrasives. Easy to apply and easy to remove, yet long lasting. This is my favorite wax for most applications.

HARLY PASTE WAX...Made from the highest grade of Number One Yellow Carnauba, the worlds hardest and finest wax. Relatively easy to apply, a little difficult to remove. Contains no extenders, cleaners, admixtures or abrasives. This is a purist’s wax.

3M SHOW CAR PASTE WAX...Shines and protects new and like new paint finishes, producing a high-gloss, durable “wet look” finish. Contains both carnauba wax and fluropolymers to produce a durable finish. For best results, apply to a small area and immediately buff off; otherwise the wax residue may be somewhat difficult to remove. May cause slight clouding on certain German paints.

MEGUIAR’S #26 HI-TECH YELLOW WAX...A blend of premium yellow Carnauba wax, polymers and other waxes to provide maximum high-gloss protection while enhancing depth of color. Will not streak or chalk on any previously cleaned and polished paints. Available in paste or liquid. This wax will last on daily driver cars but does not give quite the shine of Blitz. May cause clouding on certain German paints.

MEGUIAR’S #34 FINAL INSPECTION...A lubricating, gloss enhancing spray that adds shine, slickness, depth of color and protection in one step. Great for spot cleaning and maintaining a high-gloss shine between waxings.

ONE GRAND SHOWOFF QUICK DETAILER...A solution of liquid waxes and gloss enhancers to give your car that “just waxed” look. Mist on and buff off for a brilliant shine between waxings or to remove “water spots” after washing.

P21S CONCOURS LOOK CARNAUBA WAX...A new wax that produces, in my humble opinion, the best depth of shine of any wax on the market. It is very easy to apply and remove. My favorite wax for a “garage queen” or a frequently waxed car.

ZYMOL CARBON/CREME WAX...Carbon formula is for dark colors. A totally abrasive free wax containing nutritive oils, enzymes and pure Carnauba to replenish both new and older paints. Can be used on chrome, alloy wheels, rubber or plastic trim and Plexiglas with no chalk residue or staining. This is the “pina colada” experience in a can. Produces arguably one of the best depth of shine on the market, but does not last. Some have said it lasts about as long as it takes to apply it.

turboman808

Reaction score
I have so many waxes that I experiment with. I haven't tries Zaino yet but would like to. I am not sure I would like it's plastic shine but I will try it. I keep hearing it covers micro scratches very well.

I have Griots best of show and I really don't like it at all. It's so hard to get off and by the time you use the elbow work to get it off you will have garanteed put some scratches into the wax.

Pretty much they will all give you great shine so I look for ease of use.

The Meguirs Tech wax 2.0 is a great product. I use that as a base coat or sealant and let it sit for one day. Next I apply mothers reflections and let it sit for a day then apply mothers top coat. All easy to use and last a long time.

For a weekend toy I will use just mothers reflactions without a sealant.

I do really like Griots polisher and there clay bars. Thats about all I like from them.

I've used pinacle and wofgang sealants but not there waxes. Can't say they did any better then maguiars 2.0

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite go to wax is Blitz One Grand. All of my cars are driven at least a couple of times a week, and I've found Blitz to be a good compromise of durability, ease of application/removal, and gloss/shine.

Although a couple months ago I completely overhauled my pride and joy using liquid products developed by my buddy's shop http://www.detailingdynamics.com/. The results were amazing but this was an all day job and I will probably do it only once or twice a year.

the law

Reaction score
Originally Posted by athletics
I am a Zaino man myself. Its really been a great product over the years.

http://www.zainostore.com

Zaino is good stuff!
teacha.gif

indy116

Reaction score
My car has Optimum Opti-Seal on it for the winter. I wanted to put a coat of Colinite on it but ran out of time before it got too cold.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I use Meguire, but unfortunately didn't get around to waxing the cars before it turned cold.

turboman808

Reaction score
techinicaly you wouldn't want to wax your car before the winter. You want to use a sealant.

Wax is purley for a weekend toy like a ferrari not something that sits outside and you use every day.

More important then what products you use is knowing how to use them and when. You can have the best products in the world and not have a clue how to apply them.

You guys really got me wanting to order some zaino now.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. So I should get a sealant instead of a wax or get both? Should I wax then use the sealant or vice-versa? How about Race Glaze?

Jordan.Reynolds

Reaction score
I owned detail business for a couple years, and I highly recommend collinite 845. This stuff is cheap, durable, and easy to work with. I alway applied it via orbital buffer to ensure uniform application. Remember, a little goes a long way. Jordan

turboman808

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
Thanks for the replies. So I should get a sealant instead of a wax or get both? Should I wax then use the sealant or vice-versa? How about Race Glaze?

Unless you are going to polish the car I wouldn't bother using a glaze. A glaze to me is like machine polishing your car and then taking it just one step further. It's a very fine polish.

Sealant always goes on before a wax. In most cases let it cure 24 hours then if you want you can apply another coat of sealant or wax.

My daily driver has 2 coats of sealant and a coat of mothers top coat to enhance the shine. My weekend car has nothing because it's still getting painted.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jordan.Reynolds
I owned detail business for a couple years, and I highly recommend collinite 845. This stuff is cheap, durable, and easy to work with. I alway applied it via orbital buffer to ensure uniform application. Remember, a little goes a long way.

Jordan

Holy Moly, I'm almost scared to use the stuff
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads