• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Car Wax

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
It doesn't require any more than any other sealant. Perhaps people add in in Z-8 which helps but is not strictly needed.

Z-2 Pro is only $14.95 a bottle which will last forever since you are only supposed to apply very thin coats.

Here are some of Zaino's competitor's prices:

Blackfire Wet Diamond is $29.95 a bottle. (CMA)
Klasse Sealant Glaze is $19.95 a bottle. (CMA)
Poorboy's EX-P is $17.95 a bottle (PB website)
Pinnacle Signature (carnauba) is $49.95 (Pinnacle site)
Pinnacle Souveran (carnauba) is $95.00 (Pinnacle site; Huge price hike: glad I bought mine at $60 each! Probably best carnauba I have tested.)

Zaino is a bit of a deal considering it beats all of the above and matches Pinnacle Souveran with even more durability.

Some people buy ZFX to layer on many coats but Sal Zaino has repeatedly said it is totally unnecessary. ZFX is a little pricey at $20 a bottle but you only need literally a few drops so that lasts for a long time as well. Other sealants cannot layer as well as ZFX powered Z2 Pro or Z5 Pro.

Well, to be fair, the Zaino bottle is only 8oz. I'm not sure what size bottles the competitors are. When I would use Zaino, I was putting on Z5 and Z2, using ZFX if I was on a time constraint. That alone would be $50 of stuff. Looking at that alone, I can see where people would think it's more expensive

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
Well, to be fair, the Zaino bottle is only 8oz. I'm not sure what size bottles the competitors are. When I would use Zaino, I was putting on Z5 and Z2, using ZFX if I was on a time constraint. That alone would be $50 of stuff. Looking at that alone, I can see where people would think it's more expensive

That's very misleading. First, it's not necessary to mix Z2 and Z5. Second, Zaino requires less sealant to apply so the bottle lasts a long time. Third, ZFX is just a luxury and not required.

A basic application of Z-2Pro is just the $15 you spend on the bottle. Prep is the same as any other sealant.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
That's very misleading. First, it's not necessary to mix Z2 and Z5. Second, Zaino requires less sealant to apply so the bottle lasts a long time. Third, ZFX is just a luxury and not required. A basic application of Z-2Pro is just the $15 you spend on the bottle. Prep is the same as any other sealant.
Perhaps you can say that now, but back when I started using Zaino in 2002, it was advised to use both, applying them in alternating layers to create a deep, "wet-look" shine. I'm guessing with that history and the amount of people learning to use it that way is why people still consider it "expensive" or "time-consuming" to apply. As for ZFX not being required, as stated in the link I used on the Zaino website, "To apply multiple coats of Zaino in one day, you must use ZFX" and "Z-AIO or ZFX must be used as an initial base and every 6 months on street driven cars or once a year on show cars." They might want to get rid of the "must" part if it's not required. Actually, reading that link off the Zaino store website, if looks like a lot more is involved, which probably still adds to the confusion of whether it is really that simple to use. But as I stated earlier in the thread, I moved over to and found myself more satisfied with 1Z products which leaves more Zaino for others.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Zaino has improved greatly since 2002. I am providing advice based on what is possible today. Again, one does not need multiple coats of Zaino. I do two coats and simply wait overnight or use ZFX and apply back to back with the first coat.

I think Zaino is more of a perfectionist product in that users tend to do more prep but then again that applies to any wax or sealant if you want the best results.

Originally Posted by Roikins
Perhaps you can say that now, but back when I started using Zaino in 2002, it was advised to use both, applying them in alternating layers to create a deep, "wet-look" shine. I'm guessing with that history and the amount of people learning to use it that way is why people still consider it "expensive" or "time-consuming" to apply. As for ZFX not being required, as stated in the link I used on the Zaino website, "To apply multiple coats of Zaino in one day, you must use ZFX" and "Z-AIO or ZFX must be used as an initial base and every 6 months on street driven cars or once a year on show cars." They might want to get rid of the "must" part if it's not required. Actually, reading that link off the Zaino store website, if looks like a lot more is involved, which probably still adds to the confusion of whether it is really that simple to use. But as I stated earlier in the thread, I moved over to and found myself more satisfied with 1Z products which leaves more Zaino for others.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads