• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Car Help: $3,000 for new struts on 1998 Camry?

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to be a mechanic and people would ALWAYS get angry when we gave them an estimate for fixing their Japanese cars... Parts cost a lot because they bring them from Japan, but the labor cost for this shouldn't be that high. Labor shouldn't take that long considering they use air ratchets and other tools that make that particular job quite easy.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Get your car inspected at an independent shop. Don't tell them anything just see what they think. By doing that you will see how aggressive the shop is at selling work that you might not necessarily need. If they also feel you need new struts get their estimate and see how it fares against the midas estimate.
I did exactly this and went to Canadian Tire to get a quote from their department and get their opinion on what needs to be done, I just told them someone suggested I should get my suspension checked out. Their recommendations turned out to be pretty much exactly the same as midas, and the quote price a little cheaper. I have a breakdown and it sounds like a really big job given all the stuff that needs to be fixed/replaced. The diagnosis said: "front struts knocking and leaking, front links are loose, rear struts knocking and leaking, rear bar bushings worn out, needs alignment after repairs" So basically we're now talking about replacing the front struts, rear struts, stabilizer bar, stabilizer bar linking, stabilizer bar bushings, and alignment. All that being said, they are quoting about $800 labour (8 hours) and $1500 of parts, and some misc taxes, so their total quote is $2,400.
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Once its roadworthy again how long until it needs more maintenance.
This is what is worrying me now. To make the car ready for resale I'd still need to fix a small crack in the bumper, replace a cracked windshield, and get a new multi-switch for a malfunctioning turn signal. I figure if I do all this plus the suspension overhaul, I would make very little on the sale of the car. On the other hand, this car otherwise runs great, has 180,000 miles on it, and has been pretty damn reliable since I got in 2002, and I don't have money for a new car right now. Part of me is thinking I should probably just fix it and drive it for a few more years, assuming there aren't much more major repairs on the horizon. Is there anyone I can go to for a thorough mechanical inspection to help me figure out the remaining useful life of the car and if it will need major repairs anytime soon?

taktikz

Reaction score
That's basically the value of your car. I recommend finding a local independent mechanic or figuring out how to do this yourself. Check this guide out: http://www.wikihow.com/Change-Struts Invest some time and save $3k Coming from someone in the auto business.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just buy the parts and find a trade school that has an automotive department and let the students work on it for free! Don't worry they have ASE Master Certified Technicians as professors.

Milpool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
Is there anyone I can go to for a thorough mechanical inspection to help me figure out the remaining useful life of the car and if it will need major repairs anytime soon?

In general:

1) Remaining useful life, IME, is largely dictated by rust. As long as rust isn't ruining the structural part of the body, the car can be driven indefinitely.

2) Get a cylinder compression test and leakdown test for the engine. That is pretty standard. You could have an oil analysis done too if you'd like. If you have a manual trans, drain it, and feel around inside the drain hole to see if you feel metal shavings. Also check the fluid. Then replace the fluid. Same for the differential. That is about all you can do to check those items without taking them apart. You may want to overhaul all the seals anyway at nearly 200k.

Any shop can do those things (other than the oil analysis, you need to send samples to a lab) if you don't have the time or tools to do them yourself. I have no idea what they will charge you.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone I can go to for a thorough mechanical inspection to help me figure out the remaining useful life of the car and if it will need major repairs anytime soon?

Found my last mechanic going through the Car Talk website (run by those car dudes on NPR). It was a good experience.

jim_n

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Icehawk
I have seen guys install struts in a parking lot with hand tools in an hour... 4 hours is standard labor at any shop for this kind of work.

without a spring compressing tool? sounds sketchy

BP348

Reaction score
I agree with everyone else the quote sounds high.

The only other thing I wanted to point out is if you are going to buy your part and take them to a shop then you need to check with that shop and see what their policy is on that. Some shops don't allow it and others won't warranty the parts.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fidel, jump on beyond.ca and find someone in your city who will do it for cheap in their garage. Buy the parts yourself. I drove a Jetta for a few months with bad struts. It was very springy and I believe eventually when they totally go it becomes very uncomfortable to continue to drive, but you can apparently push it. I was quoted about $1,000 to get the job done. I believe that was total.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jim_n
without a spring compressing tool? sounds sketchy

Depends on the height of the spring, and how high you can set the car on jacks, but it can be done using nothing more then a floor jack in many cases.

For me i always used them because i was working with 18" tall lightweight springs for drag racing in 'vintage' suspension designs with updated parts. If you've ever had one slip on you, you'd understand the reasons why some people avoid them, so in cases where the car wasnt using drag springs (other cars) I'd never use one if i didnt have to.

I can remember a day in the shop working with front springs and hearing a loud bang and just looking at my fingers first to make sure they were still all there.

jim_n

Reaction score
we used to just use these:

Suspension24.jpg

until one of them broke and made every duck for cover. now we have a wall mounted otc spring compressor in the shop. but yea 3k is ridiculous, I can look up the labor time at work on monday but its probably only around 1 hour per side. if you want you can always get some after market quick struts that include the springs and do it yourself

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most likely, you don't need them at all.

It seems like those type of places recommend shocks/struts to everyone. It's free to recommend, and I'm sure a few bite. Most people probably tell them to pound sand.

FWIW, they told me I needed new shocks. They told my friend, with a relatively new car (40k miles?) the same thing a few weeks earlier.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took my car into Midas for some work several months ago, and they also did an inspection which said my front and back struts are leaking and it would cost $3,000 to replace. I ignored it at the time, and have noticed no ill effects driving around on it daily for the last 5 months.

1) Is this a reasonable price? It sounds astronomical to me, but I really don't know much about cars
2) What will happen if I do nothing?

That is a ridiculous price. Go to tirerack.com, plug in your car info and choose suspension. My guess is that shocks/struts are not over $100 per. So, $400 in parts and 1 hour labor per side. You should not spend over $800.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did exactly this and went to Canadian Tire to get a quote from their department and get their opinion on what needs to be done, I just told them someone suggested I should get my suspension checked out. Their recommendations turned out to be pretty much exactly the same as midas, and the quote price a little cheaper. I have a breakdown and it sounds like a really big job given all the stuff that needs to be fixed/replaced.

The diagnosis said: "front struts knocking and leaking, front links are loose, rear struts knocking and leaking, rear bar bushings worn out, needs alignment after repairs"

Take your car to an independent auto-mechanic. The only way you need a new stabilizer bar is if it is cracked. Replacing some of the mounting hardware might be needed.

To test the struts/shocks, start pressing down on the front of the car, trying to bounce it. If it bounces like a basketball, you need new struts. Do the same thing to the rear of the car. Either way, with 180k miles, they probably need to be replaced.

With 180,000 miles on the car, all of the bushings are probably shot. Not that big of a deal. Replacing the front tie-rods might be needed.
Tirerack has front KYBs for 84 each and rears for 64 each. Call around your area and ask tell the mechanic you already purchased the parts and ask them if they will install them. Most places will say no as they want to sell you parts at inflated prices.

Have any buddies that can help you DIY? ****, if you were close to me, I would help you.

Also, take your car to the dealership for an estimate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads