1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Car Detailing

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by tiecollector, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

My current weapon of choice is the Makita 9227 rotary. Requires some skill but offers fantastic build quality and performance. The new Flex machines are cool as well.

2. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

AF, do you have a Porter Cable?

I don't have time to enjoy the simple satisfaction of detailing a car anymore...maybe once a year.

Here's my daily driver in November before the changeover to winter wheels and tires...1Z with the Porter, and then finished off with Zaino:

[​IMG]

- B

Incredible. Both mean and beautiful at the same time.

3. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

^^^

I've said it before, but vox's E46 rocks.

Nit-pick: not a fan of the clear-bra. Hate seeing the edges and would rather take a few rock chips like a man.

Thanks...the clear bra was definitely a mistake. On a black daily driver, it is just so much worse than chips. Plus, as you can see in the pic, we had to slice off the edges of the bra...it was pre-made for the US bumper, and I had that replaced with a cover shipped from Germany that did not have the lame side reflectors. The bra was already precut for the reflectors.

Vox, the car looks great.

I used to detail my cars twice a year, routinely. But, unfortunately, I didn't at all last year and only once the prior year. I have the tools and interest, but not the time. I don't really want to hire it out either, especially since I do enjoy it.

Thanks...yeah, with a four year old boy, I just don't have the time for it anymore. Once or twice a year tops, otherwise it's off to the detail shop to get a half assed job done.

Yep, I use a Porter Cable all the time. BMW looks great!

Thanks, AF.

Incredible. Both mean and beautiful at the same time.

Uhm, doesn't compare to the nice iron that you ride, but it is fun in a twisty curve.

- B

4. turboman808

turboman808 Senior member

Detailed my solstice over the weekeend. Bad camera and bad lighting but it's got some nice reflection to it. I still haven't used the zaino products I ordered. Gonna wait till after the winter since I will need to strip off all the wax that is on there now. [​IMG]

5. TC (Houston)

Uhm, doesn't compare to the nice iron that you ride, but it is fun in a twisty curve.

Doesn't compare in the sense that it's probably faster around a road course and would have a chance at completing an afternoon of hard of laps without breaking? LOL The italian cars look and sound cool but the E46 is an awesome performer and looks very cool too, especially in your configuration. [​IMG]

6. Artisan Fan

Detailed my solstice over the weekeend. Bad camera and bad lighting but it's got some nice reflection to it.

I still haven't used the zaino products I ordered. Gonna wait till after the winter since I will need to strip off all the wax that is on there now.

[​IMG]

I would suggest Z5 Pro (more wet) on that color but Z2 Pro (more reflective) would be excellent as well.

7. pscolari

pscolari Senior member

AF, do you have a Porter Cable?

I don't have time to enjoy the simple satisfaction of detailing a car anymore...maybe once a year.

Here's my daily driver in November before the changeover to winter wheels and tires...1Z with the Porter, and then finished off with Zaino:

[​IMG]

- B

Vox - Do you live in The People's Republic?

8. turboman808

I would suggest Z5 Pro (more wet) on that color but Z2 Pro (more reflective) would be excellent as well.

I have both so I can use whichever. I will try the Z5 but thought that was more for hiding scratches.

I was planning to use Meg #105 and #82 before using the zaino products. They were recomended to me for GM clear coats.

9. Artisan Fan

I have both so I can use whichever. I will try the Z5 but thought that was more for hiding scratches.

I was planning to use Meg #105 and #82 before using the zaino products. They were recomended to me for GM clear coats.

I would politely suggest shelving the Megs products and using Z-PC. Megs is not as fine a quality product line, especially weak in polishes. I only use Menzerna and Zaino for polishing. #105 is probably more aggressive than you need anyway.

10. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Pics from recent detail. Used my normal Zaino process:

Simple Green on Tires
    Z-7 wash, chenille sponge pad
    Z-PC plus PC with Ultrafina pad on "6" times 2
    Autogeek Indigo microfibers to remove residue
    Z-6 detailer and Pakshak Ultra Plush
    Z-5 Pro, Zaino applicator
    Z-8 for LSP, Pakshak UltraSmooth

3-series? You are small-time.

11. turboman808

I would politely suggest shelving the Megs products and using Z-PC. Megs is not as fine a quality product line, especially weak in polishes. I only use Menzerna and Zaino for polishing. #105 is probably more aggressive than you need anyway.

OH I also added mud flaps front and rear to the car. The back I didn't really need but the front with the stick race tires is throwing so much shit on the car and if you get down below the door it's covered with small chips.

I tried other polishes but nothing is cutting down the micro scratches that as near as I can tell came that way from the factory.

I'll start slow with the 105 and see how it goes.

12. Artisan Fan

OH I also added mud flaps front and rear to the car. The back I didn't really need but the front with the stick race tires is throwing so much shit on the car and if you get down below the door it's covered with small chips.

I tried other polishes but nothing is cutting down the micro scratches that as near as I can tell came that way from the factory.

I'll start slow with the 105 and see how it goes.

Could be a pad/polisher issue. Did you try a cutting pad from Lake Country Manufacturing? If you are using a PC then go to "6" and gently lean into it.

13. turboman808

Could be a pad/polisher issue. Did you try a cutting pad from Lake Country Manufacturing? If you are using a PC then go to "6" and gently lean into it.

I used an orange pad but got groits polish which is fine for classic cars without a clear coat but didn't work at all here. It was my first time using a poisher so I went with really mild polish and worked my way up and still it was to mild.

Even though Zaino says polish I always thought it was a sealant. They are kind of confusing in the way they word things.

14. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

Doesn't compare in the sense that it's probably faster around a road course and would have a chance at completing an afternoon of hard of laps without breaking? LOL The italian cars look and sound cool but the E46 is an awesome performer and looks very cool too, especially in your configuration. [​IMG]

I think you're setting me up to be schooled....[​IMG]

I'm thinking of a Vantage as the replacement...maybe you'll let me be seen in public with you then.

Vox - Do you live in The People's Republic?

Yes...that shot is across the street from Dante, I from the last day the patio was open this past fall.

- B

15. jet

jet Senior member

vox def from rf

you order the bumper prepainted?

16. TC (Houston)

I think you're setting me up to be schooled....[​IMG]

I'm thinking of a Vantage as the replacement...maybe you'll let me be seen in public with you then.

Vantage is awesome, I've been very tempted by that one too. And I don't know why you insinuate that I'm some kind of car snob, I owned a Boxster at one time for crissakes. LOL

17. turboman808

Vantage is awesome, I've been very tempted by that one too. And I don't know why you insinuate that I'm some kind of car snob, I owned a Boxster at one time for crissakes. LOL

I love the Vantage. I would never buy one buy have gotten the chance to drive one on occasion. First time behind the wheel I just said "Oh MY GOD" and I haven't even started it yet. Performance is pretty good. But the beauty and craftsmanship is the best I have ever scene.

18. Artisan Fan

I used an orange pad but got groits polish which is fine for classic cars without a clear coat but didn't work at all here. It was my first time using a poisher so I went with really mild polish and worked my way up and still it was to mild.

Even though Zaino says polish I always thought it was a sealant. They are kind of confusing in the way they word things.

They call it "Show Car Polish" but their actual true polish is the best I have used. Griot's stuff is just mediocre. I like his accessories however. He tends to be pricey.

19. TC (Houston)

I love the Vantage. I would never buy one buy have gotten the chance to drive one on occasion. First time behind the wheel I just said "Oh MY GOD" and I haven't even started it yet. Performance is pretty good. But the beauty and craftsmanship is the best I have ever scene.

Yes, the car definitely has presence inside and out. And the SOUND! Amazing.

20. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

I'm about to go wash my car with the kit I ordered. When do I use the spray on detailer?