Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Car Detailing

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by tiecollector, Dec 7, 2008.

1. jet

jet Persian Bro

Great idea, thanks! No problems with messing up the glue or anything when doing this?

I would spray the mf towel itself and gently blot/rub the liner.

Griots interior cleaner works well for this sort of thing.

2. Spiecks

Spiecks Member

3. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Thanks. That one is better.

No problem. [​IMG]

4. Mblova

Mblova Senior member

I have to admit, I am also a Zaino fan. Been one for a long time by using Z-8 and Z-2. Thinking of throwing some p21s into the mix...will see when I have more cash.

5. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

First time user of Zaino,and I must admit that the stuff works well.I was also amazed at how well claying will clean up the paint.I am also thinking of trying the p21s as well.

6. jet

jet Persian Bro

Never cared for zaino, I use strictly p21s, menzerna, and a bit of 1z on my car.

7. Artisan Fan

Never cared for zaino, I use strictly p21s, menzerna, and a bit of 1z on my car.

P21S is a great carnauba product with a terrific look but you give up some durability versus a sealant. I also like the Menzerna and 1Z lines.

I got started in detailing with a P21S kit. They still make the best gel wheel cleaner on the market.

8. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

My car was so dirty I broke down and went to a car wash place. They pre-rinsed the car with a foamy solution, then washed it off with water. Then they took a push broom with microfiber bristles to wash it more. Then they put it through the washing machine with spray on wax. I had them disable the side scrubber thingies. For a $20 wash I think my daily driver turned out pretty nice.

9. turboman808

turboman808 Senior member

About 3 weeks ago I was at a vintage car show in CT. I came across Poor Boys products while there. They had a booth and needless to say with all the street credit these guys seem to have I dropped $200 pretty fast.

Prices are good and they sell by the gallon and it saves alot of money in the long run.

I wasn't sure which of there waxes to buy so I bought them all. In the end I really like the Natty Red. Guess it depends on the color of the car but with my metalic blue porsche it looked really dam good.

The white diamond glaze did a great job of hiding imperfections. I haven't had alot of experience with different glazes and this is the first one I am happy with. Did a great job of hiding those microscopic scratches.

My favorite products it there spray and gloss. Bought a couple of gallons of this. Glad I did. Been using it on my cars instead of continually washing them. The porsche is far from water tight so the less it gets wet the better. With some thick micro fiber towels is does a great job of getting the car clean and making it shine.

I haven't tried the wheel sealant yet. To lazy to take my wheels off and clean them spotless at the moment.

10. jet

jet Persian Bro

My favorite products are the makita rotary (which I have not mastered yet lol!) and the euro 3m backing plates, both the firm and soft foam versions.

11. Artisan Fan

About 3 weeks ago I was at a vintage car show in CT. I came across Poor Boys products while there. They had a booth and needless to say with all the street credit these guys seem to have I dropped $200 pretty fast.

Prices are good and they sell by the gallon and it saves alot of money in the long run.

I wasn't sure which of there waxes to buy so I bought them all. In the end I really like the Natty Red. Guess it depends on the color of the car but with my metalic blue porsche it looked really dam good.

The white diamond glaze did a great job of hiding imperfections. I haven't had alot of experience with different glazes and this is the first one I am happy with. Did a great job of hiding those microscopic scratches.

My favorite products it there spray and gloss. Bought a couple of gallons of this. Glad I did. Been using it on my cars instead of continually washing them. The porsche is far from water tight so the less it gets wet the better. With some thick micro fiber towels is does a great job of getting the car clean and making it shine.

I haven't tried the wheel sealant yet. To lazy to take my wheels off and clean them spotless at the moment.

Glad you found something you like. I know the owner of Poorboys and have tested all of their products. Good stuff but imho Zaino is better. I do buy lots of the microfiber towels (the Deluxe Mega Towel is terrific). Their carnaubas are very good but their sealants are just average.

12. Artisan Fan

My favorite products are the makita rotary (which I have not mastered yet lol!) and the euro 3m backing plates, both the firm and soft foam versions.

I have a Makita 9227, the best rotary I have tried. The 3M plates are good but I slightly prefer Lake Country:

http://www.lakecountrymfg.com/

[​IMG]

Best polishing pads out there. [​IMG]

13. mikeman

mikeman Senior member

So I know this is kind of random, ,as some of us are in the middle of winter, but I have a few questions.

I forgot to bring all my car care stuff in the house, and most of it froze( zaino polish, clay, etc.) Will it still be good once it thaws?

What is the benefit of a random orbital polisher over say hand applying some zaino polish? I dont have any swirls in my paint.
    Thanks

14. Artisan Fan

So I know this is kind of random, ,as some of us are in the middle of winter, but I have a few questions. I forgot to bring all my car care stuff in the house, and most of it froze( zaino polish, clay, etc.) Will it still be good once it thaws? What is the benefit of a random orbital polisher over say hand applying some zaino polish? I dont have any swirls in my paint. Thanks
    Clay and polish will be okay once it thaws...less sure about the sealant. My garages are sealed so it never gets below 58 degrees Fahrenheit. The benefit of the random orbital like a Porter Cable (often abbreviated "PC") 7336 or 7424 or similar machine is faster polishing, less work and more even results. Hand polishing is really a tough slog. A PC can really do wonders on "5" or "6" once you get the technique down and there is less chance of causing damage to angled bodywork. You really get a nice gloss. Polishing is like prepping walls for painting. The prep determines much of the final result. Several retailers such as AutoGeek, CMA (Proper Auto Care) and Autopia have been hurting a bit during the recession so you should be able to get a deal on a PC now. Prices will likely rise by the spring/summer start of detailing season. www.properautocare.com www.autogeek.net www.autopia.org

15. turboman808

turboman808 Senior member

Near as I can tell Zaino doesn't make a polish at all. What they call polish is really a sealant.

if all your doing is applying zaino then you don't need a porter cable. Never seen anyone other then a salesman trying to convince me I need a portercable use them for applying waxes and sealants.

For true polishing you cannot do it by hand. You need a portercable.