• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Car Coat

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a car coat to wear with casual clothing (i.e. NOT over a suit). Anyone familiar with this one from Banana Republic? Yay or nay? Does it run big or true to size? I tried the Gap car coat in Small (I am 5'6, 38 chest, 130 lbs) and I was swimming in it - it was huge! http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse...scid=593781002
br593781-00vliv01.jpg

highball

Reaction score
I would say seems pretty true to size, though I haven't owned it myself. My roommate recently bought it and has been very happy with it. I would put him at a 40/42R and he liked the fit. It was stolen/taken accidentally and he liked it enough to go out an buy another. Hope that helps a bit.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool... thanks! I'll go check it out or maybe order it online. I was afraid that Gap and BR being sister companies, the BR car coat would be huge as well. I couldn't believe how big the Gap car coat was - never seen a small be so big....
lol8[1].gif

highball

Reaction score
Sorry meant to say he's a 40/42R & he liked the fit of size medium. Yeah, I would say the fit was better than expected. I would strongly suggest going to the store and trying it on though.

ironduke2010

Reaction score
if anything, i find the current br winter crop runs a bit small. i'm usually a 40s, and couldn't fit any type of blazer under any of the br 40s overcoats (which fit a lot like 40s blazers). but anything in a 42 overcoat was cut too long.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a 44L in most jackets/suits, and the BR coat in large fits me just about perfectly.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm pretty much a true L at 6.1 and 185 lbs. I run 42-44R is most jackets/coats/suits, and when I tried on a bunch of BR coats this fall, the L size was perfect. I bought the peacoat in L and it almost feels tailored.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robert
I'm pretty much a true L at 6.1 and 185 lbs. I run 42-44R is most jackets/coats/suits, and when I tried on a bunch of BR coats this fall, the L size was perfect. I bought the peacoat in L and it almost feels tailored.

What do you think of the peacoat? It was between that and the car coat for me, and I might pick up the peacoat since it's on sale now.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by James Bond
What do you think of the peacoat? It was between that and the car coat for me, and I might pick up the peacoat since it's on sale now.

I like both, but I had my heart set on a peacoat this season, so this was the choice for me. Between the two, I think the peacoat naturally has a little more "edge" while still being quite traditional. I think the peacoat has a great modern slim look, and I think it's very well constructed. The collar's nice and heavy without being too wide or floppy, and I like the buttoned band at the end of the sleeves. And I got it about 75 bucks marked off the original price, so it was a good deal.

The only thing that bugs me a little is that the inside pocket is not very deep. But that's minor.

obiter dictum

Reaction score
I've also been looking for a cheapish casual coat, so this picqued my interest. Unfortunately, due to geographical limitations I won't be able to try one on, so naturally I'm worried about sizing. I'm 6'4, 41" chest and 33" waist. After looking at the size chart Tall Large seems to be my size? Anyone with similar measurements have any experiences? For comparison: my H&M sports jackets fit nicely at 44S. I guess I could mail BR, but shockingly I have trust issues with people that are trying to sell me stuff. I feel a bit bad about almost all my posts on this forum being of the "help plz" variety, but I can't contribute anything worthwhile until I actually get a clue.
confused.gif

progressiveminded

Reaction score
Originally Posted by obiter dictum
I've also been looking for a cheapish casual coat, so this picqued my interest. Unfortunately, due to geographical limitations I won't be able to try one on, so naturally I'm worried about sizing. I'm 6'4, 41" chest and 33" waist. After looking at the size chart Tall Large seems to be my size? Anyone with similar measurements have any experiences? For comparison: my H&M sports jackets fit nicely at 44S. I guess I could mail BR, but shockingly I have trust issues with people that are trying to sell me stuff.

I feel a bit bad about almost all my posts on this forum being of the "help plz" variety, but I can't contribute anything worthwhile until I actually get a clue.
confused.gif

With either BR or Gap, I think the popular consensus is to size down. Their size charts may say that you wear a large, but keep in mind that their idea of a fit is for you to be swimming in your clothes.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by progressiveminded
With either BR or Gap, I think the popular consensus is to size down. Their size charts may say that you wear a large, but keep in mind that their idea of a fit is for you to be swimming in your clothes.

No, I disagree. I've pretty much found that a large is a large at Banana. Not sure about Gap because I don't shop there much. Unless you want to feel like you're wearing your kid brother's shrunken coat, trust the BR size charts. I'm a fairly average Large size, 6.1, 185 lbs. I've tried Mediums at BR and there's no room to move in the arm pits and shoulders and the sleeves are a third of the way up my forearms. Larges, on the other hand, fit every part of my body just right.

Especially at 6.4, you don't wanna size down to a medium or anything. From my experience, I'd say you're definitely a BR Large-tall.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by progressiveminded

Correct, they will not fit well unless you are an ogre aka typical american these days.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yah, well, watch it, or George W. and the troops will come over and kick your sissy Brit asses and take over that silly island you call a kingdom.

obiter dictum

Reaction score
Alright, thanks for the tips. Think I'm going to trust Robert on this and go with the large. If it's too large at least I can have it tailored, but if it's too small I'm screwed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics