• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cappelli Ties: What's the Hoopla About?

ltontheqt

Reaction score
There was no real need, but out of curiosity I decided to purchase two Cappelli ties directly from Naples. The ties are solid with good, heavy silk and appear to be well-made. However, I can't coax a dimple out of them. Anyway, I wore one and did get a compliment. Still, even though the ties are nice I seem to have some that are just as nice including - and I know this is blasphemy - a few from Brooks Brothers. Why are Cappelli's so special? Educate me. (By the way, the two Marinella ties I own tie a better knot.

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Cappelli and Marinella both make excellent ties. I have a preference for Marinella, as I find their construction and fabrics to be a bit more substantial (and I like a tie with some heft to it).

Cappelli, by contrast, specializes in a lighter, less constructed, often unlined tie with slightly more evidence of hand stitching throughout. (It will "show its seams" a bit more, and seem ever so slightly imperfect in that made-by-hand sort of way). The faintly rusticated, hand-made aesthetic is currently en vogue amongst the iGentry, and so it's no surprise that Cappelli is having its moment in the sun here.

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The faintly rusticated, hand-made aesthetic is currently en vogue amongst the iGentry, and so it's no surprise that Cappelli is having its moment in the sun here.

That, and they just opened an eStore. Which just went on sale.

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Yes, but the "hoopla" has been going on since well before they opened the store. The eStore has only intensified that which already existed.

Last edited:

ltontheqt

Reaction score
In fact, the e-store was the impetus for my purchase. The sale gave me license to give them a try with a relatively small expenditure. Jackie, interesting that you describe the ties as lightly constructed. Here I thought they were heavy. But that just may be in comparison to, say, Charvet and other ties I own.

jsqfunk

Reaction score
there are several different options w/ lining, # of folds, etc. which did you chose? maybe that was the wrong one for what you where looking for?

for my money they are nice, but could be constructed sturdier

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

LeviMay

Reaction score
I received my first two Cappelli ties last week. I dipped my toe in the water with a couple of the "Outlet" ties, which are standard length 3-folds. They're great.

I can't get on the site to order more. Is it working for anyone else?

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To those who are interested, you can also get Cappelli ties through NsM on their tours - same deal, you can specify whatever construction you want, look at all the swatches, etc....you don't have to pay shipping, but then you also aren't getting anything on sale. I ordered one on my last meeting with Mina and Dino, will probably order several more next time if the first one comes out looking as I expect. The silks they have are gorgeous.

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just tried to check out the sale and it seems that once again SF has broken the internet.

calidist

Reaction score
for whatever it's worth, my experience with cappelli ties has been the same.

That is very strange, I haven't had that problem with either of the cappelli ties I have recently worn. To the contrary, I've been very surprised that they almost naturally dimple more than any other tie I own (ranging from Drakes to Rubinacci to Hermes) and I'm quite fastidious about symmetrical, balanced dimpling since I'm most often wearing ties in court.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm quite fastidious about symmetrical, balanced dimpling since I'm most often wearing ties in court.

Tell me more about this logic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads