• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Capoeira

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Does anybody else practice this Brasilian Martial Art(with emphasis on the art rather than the martial)?

I've found that for my temperament and physical abilities, it's the best option of the many arts out there, and while it may not be terribly useful in terms of combat and self-defense, it has a great sense of camraderie and group ethic, which I really like.

It's also great for showing off!

capoeira.gif

And while it may not be directly applicable to self defense, it's good training for dodging incoming blows, since that's half the sport.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm... my brother looked inm to it and I think did it for a bit. probably a great way to stay in shape. As far as direct applications, as illustrated on that other m/A thread, don't worry about it. The point is not to learn exactly what to do but instead to give you a foundation to build on anyway. Increasing your speed stamina and reflexes the way capoeira can would only be a good thing (tm)

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard about capoeira from my karate instructor approximately 2 1/2 years ago and have considered studying it more as a dance/workout than as self-defense. Then, I saw some performers doing it on the streets of Recife, Brazil about 6 months later and they were _very_ impressive. They also confirmed in my mind that it probably has limited use in self-defense (no offense intended to anyone who practices the art), but it also looked like a *great* way to develop skills that would transfer to other martial arts, especially endurance, strength, balance, and body control. The guys (and the women) demonstrating capoeira on the streets in Brazil were absolutely ripped and could do some very impressive moves.

mizanation

Reaction score
capoeira is great. many BJJ players crosstrain in capoeira.

it increases all-around strength, agility, timing, rhythm, and flexibility.

most of all, it's fun. plus, there are usually all types of beautiful, fit and flexible women.

also, like all brazilian martial arts and sports, it's heavy on "malicia"--how to trick your opponent artfully.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
( Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Relax plays in background)

Zoolander-Mugatu.jpg

They're breakdance fighting!

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
( Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Relax plays in background)

Zoolander-Mugatu.jpg

They're breakdance fighting!

Awesome. I will now think of that everytime this is mentioned. I understand it has some history to it, blah blah blah. I think it looks stupid.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

raley

Reaction score
If anyone has seen The Protector, there is an awesome scene in there with the main character (Tony Jaa) and a Brazilian Capoeira guy.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did some Capoeira a while back and it was really neat. Like others have said, it's awesome for building balance, endurance, strength, etc. It's also good for showing off and just having a good time in general. If you like music and dancing, but want to do something a little different then capoeira might be perfect.

However, I think it has zero value for self-defense. If you want to take it as a form of exercise or a form of fun, then I wholeheartedly encourage you. However, if you want to take it for self-defense, I would strongly discourage you. Not only does it have zero value for self-defense, but attempting to use capoeira in self-defense can also be a liability.

Augusto86

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
I did some Capoeira a while back and it was really neat. Like others have said, it's awesome for building balance, endurance, strength, etc. It's also good for showing off and just having a good time in general. If you like music and dancing, but want to do something a little different then capoeira might be perfect.

However, I think it has zero value for self-defense. If you want to take it as a form of exercise or a form of fun, then I wholeheartedly encourage you. However, if you want to take it for self-defense, I would strongly discourage you. Not only does it have zero value for self-defense, but attempting to use capoeira in self-defense can also be a liability.

While this is true of capoeira as its generally practiced in any normal setting, it is in fact very common in Salvador, Fortaleza, and other Brasilian cities of the North and North-East for street toughs and brawlers to practice capoeira and apply its lessons in real combat situations. Capoeiristas are known for a lethal combination of knife/razor fighting and the fast-paced strikes of capoeira in street fights.

As to 'breakdance fighting', breakdancing moves are all stolen from capoeira anyways, so STFU.

mizanation

Reaction score
yeah, augusto, you're right, at least about the streetfighting part.

it is a fact that capoeira was outlawed for a while in the late 19th century. it was associated with gangs and thugs. but perhaps the biggest reason it was outlawed was because capoeira was a form of communication and comraderie used by former slaves--many of whom were in street gangs. also, jinga with a razor blade is pretty deadly.

if anything, capoeristas are in ******* great shape which is more than half the battle. some forms of capoeira are pretty much full-contact--some wear sparring gear even. some schools have included submission fighting into their rodas. however some (i'd say most), keep it pretty traditional and very mild, like capoeira angola.

like i said, it's great for staying in shape and having fun. there are other arts that have decidedly better street application.

Augusto86

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mizanation
yeah, augusto, you're right, at least about the streetfighting part. it is a fact that capoeira was outlawed for a while in the late 19th century. it was associated with gangs and thugs. but perhaps the biggest reason it was outlawed was because capoeira was a form of communication and comraderie used by former slaves--many of whom were in street gangs. also, jinga with a razor blade is pretty deadly. if anything, capoeristas are in ******* great shape which is more than half the battle. some forms of capoeira are pretty much full-contact--some wear sparring gear even. some schools have included submission fighting into their rodas. however some (i'd say most), keep it pretty traditional and very mild, like capoeira angola. like i said, it's great for staying in shape and having fun. there are other arts that have decidedly better street application.
Absolutely. In a street fight, I'd much rather know Judo, BJJ, Aikido, or that bad-ass Israeli Palesteinian-smacking one - Krav Maga? Kriv Magi? Capoeira has applications, but not directly. What I really love about capoeira is the camraderie, the conversational aspect, the way you play and spar and then hug your partner and move on. It's a great community and friendship-bulding sport. And if you ever find yourself on a dancefloor, just bust out a couple of backflips and aerials and you look like a god. I guess I just have an attraction to impractical martial arts: capoeira, Tae Kwon Do, Bo-jutsu, Fencing...

J-Shock

Reaction score
I have been interested in Capoeira for some time now but i dont know if i should take the plunge. Seems like a great way to get into shape

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just reading this thread is making me consider picking this up. Im about to start hitting the gym again as i've been out of it for several months and am looking for other things to supplement my lifting

Augusto86

Reaction score
It's one of THE most athletic, in the sense of the workout you get, martial arts. You are in constant motion, so there's none of the stop-and-go staticness that is associated with styles like Karate and TKD. Your heart is always pumping and your legs are always moving. A+++ workout for getting in shape, and pretty low-impact, until you start doing flips etc. Which are not necessary to be a good capoeirista, just a showy one.

On and christy is teh hottness.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 84 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.3%

Forum statistics

Threads