• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canvas Messenger Bag

Dan9019

Reaction score
Any recommendations for a canvas messenger bag? Something to carry a laptop and notes around campus. I'd like to get a leather bag but just don't have the money for a nice one. As far as the look I'm interested in, something like the Land's End Canvas bag but a step up in quality. I wouldn't expect much for $40. I'd say my price limit is $150.

dinogj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dan9019
Any recommendations for a canvas messenger bag? Something to carry a laptop and notes around campus. I'd like to get a leather bag but just don't have the money for a nice one. As far as the look I'm interested in, something like the Land's End Canvas bag but a step up in quality. I wouldn't expect much for $40. I'd say my price limit is $150.

Well for $150 you can find REALLY vintage nice leather bags on ebay that fit the bill instead of "settling" for a canvas bag.

masterllama

Reaction score
that bag doesn't look bad for the price...I might pick it up.

Kinda in the same boat as you, need something cheap for college.

Thebomb85019

Reaction score
Look at the Filson 256. Great messenger and I can fit a big binder and my MBP in it when I need it for school. Check out the Crane thread because there should be a 10/20% coupon code in there somewhere.

Piroshky

Reaction score
For a beater bag that comes with a lifetime guarantee, subtle details, and sturdy construction, check out beckel canvas products. Mine's lasted me for about 2 years now, and it's held together very well after pretty rough daily use.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Briefcase%20Gray.jpg

We carry the Wm. J. Mills & Co Canvas briefcases in Grey, Black, and Natural. Here in our store. It's their best-selling style for us. They're $130 and totally machine washable:

You can see all the options here

Dan9019

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dinogj
Well for $150 you can find REALLY vintage nice leather bags on ebay that fit the bill instead of "settling" for a canvas bag.

Thanks I'll have to look at eBay.

Originally Posted by bwonger06
Look at the Filson 256. Great messenger and I can fit a big binder and my MBP in it when I need it for school. Check out the Crane thread because there should be a 10/20% coupon code in there somewhere.
Originally Posted by Working Stiff
Could also try Frost River. Kind of rustic, but looks well made, and it's made in Duluth, Minnesota.

These two are both a little too rustic looking for my taste.

Originally Posted by Piroshky
For a beater bag that comes with a lifetime guarantee, subtle details, and sturdy construction, check out beckel canvas products. Mine's lasted me for about 2 years now, and it's held together very well after pretty rough daily use.
Originally Posted by Epaulet
Briefcase%20Gray.jpg

We carry the Wm. J. Mills & Co Canvas briefcases in Grey, Black, and Natural. Here in our store. It's their best-selling style for us. They're $130 and totally machine washable:

You can see all the options here

Thanks, these both look like what I'm looking for. Only potential problem is they both list 14" as the width and my laptop is just barely bigger by 1/8". I'll be stopping by Epaulet when I'm in New York next month to take a look.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lukitto
$150 in a bag?

with this money i buy a nice bag, shirt, denim, and maybe shoes (here!!)
eh.gif

all of which you throw away after 6 months

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dinogj

Sure. But some leather bags can be very heavy compared to a canvas bag. Heavy bags don't get used. So ask about weight before bidding on anything.

Originally Posted by lukitto
$150 in a bag?

with this money i buy a nice bag, shirt, denim, and maybe shoes (here!!)
eh.gif

lol you must be new

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I like military surplus/deadstock a lot better than most in this price range, and they're far cheaper, decenty durable, and easily found Or you could get a leather one made by Unlucky
smile.gif

ma1

Reaction score
i have a barbour waxed canvas terras bag.. its amazing

mike.lawrence

Reaction score
How about this Briggs & Riley messenger bag? I just love its cool, classy looks. It's not made from canvas but CORDURA brand of nylon, which is one of the most durable fabrics used to manufacture bags. Although it's a little more than your budget, I would pick it up for its name brand, quality, and its incredible lifetime warranty.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads