• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

canvas hairs poking through lining...anyone experienced this before?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Question for you: I recently noticed on one of my sportcoats I had made this Fall that some hairs on the canvas seem to be poking through the lining on my chest. It can make things feel a bit prickly if (literally) rubbed the wrong way. Painful, no. Annoying, a bit.

Has anyone experienced something like this before? Is it the sign of too light a lining? An inferior canvas? Any light anyone can shed would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Cary. Glad to see I'm not alone!

Anyone have any potential remedies for this? Can the lining be opened up a bit and an additional layer placed between the lining and jacket?

Martin Stall

Reaction score
That's due to the horsehair migrating through the canvass, and not a good sign. Also, there's little you can do about it I regret to say.

Sleats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Thanks Cary. Glad to see I'm not alone!

Anyone have any potential remedies for this? Can the lining be opened up a bit and an additional layer placed between the lining and jacket?

Normally happens above the internal breast pockets and yes indeed a jacket can be opened up and a piece of fabric strategically placed to stop future irritation.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info! Sounds like there may be a way to make it better. I'll talk to the tailor about it next time I see him.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then how can it be prevented? By using better quality canvas?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is not about canvass quality. The hairs are from the horsehair layer between the hymo and the flannelette covering. The haircloth is cut on the bias along the break line and a strip of silesia covers the cut edge to prevent or reduce the hairs poking thru. Most tailors do not cover the cut edge along the armhole but the canvass/haircloth is caught in stitches securing the armhole. which may help some. The hairs poke out occasionally. If it happens, just pull them out.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have one jacket that started to do this a year or so ago and then stopped. For the two or three bristles that poked through, I just snipped the end off with a pair of scissors. No problems since then, though I've no idea if it will recur at some stage.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's really no big deal.

Just pull them out if it happens.

I've seen it happen to bespoke jackets from all the top names in NYC.

the_sartorialist

Reaction score
I doubt this is really much of an issue.

A more peculiar issue that I recently encountered was that the rounded edges of the horn buttons on my suit jacket were not as smooth as initially thought, and it ended up fraying some of the threads on my buttonholes. It's been returned to my tailor for the buttons to be sandpapered and for the buttonholes to be re-done.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Knew I could count on you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads