• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canvas art for living room

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just moved in my studio recently and looking to cover some of my off-white colored walls.

Was thinking of some canvas, reproduction art? Apartment style is simplistic/modern. Mostly Black, white and espresso.

Was thinking buying off of this site?

http://www.overstockart.com/

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Don't do it, man. Just don't. Get some white paint on the walls and wait until you can afford art made by artists.

Arthur PE

Reaction score
real art costs a lot of money, I have more than a few pieces accumulated over years

for a guy starting out some wall art is not a bad thing, just don't go overboard, a few, large, strategically located and coordinated pieces
some color, no strong graphics, no strong shapes

md-canvas.com has some decent stuff

I have the 'good stuff' in public areas, in the guest room and bedroom a piece of wall art

in my room above the bed, large size
BENTO01-2__27271_std.jpg

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something that is affordable, graphic and fun are vintage fabric (not nylon) flags. I have found old nautical flags, union jacks, state flags etc. They make a fun and colorful accent in a room. You don't have to get them framed but I did with this one and have it hanging over a guest bed.

My wife and I found this vintage UK bus sign at a flea market a while ago and not it hangs in her office. Everyone wants to know where to get it.

Arthur PE

Reaction score
cool
good idea

Something that is affordable, graphic and fun are vintage fabric (not nylon) flags. I have found old nautical flags, union jacks, state flags etc. They make a fun and colorful accent in a room. You don't have to get them framed but I did with this one and have it hanging over a guest bed.

My wife and I found this vintage UK bus sign at a flea market a while ago and not it hangs in her office. Everyone wants to know where to get it.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is another inexpensive idea. I went to a flea market and found some old handwritten letters, documents, artists sketch and a nautical union jack (my wife is a Brit). They were cheap. I went to AAron brothers and bought their cheapest, basic frames in a few sizes and made this collage.

flag.jpg

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score

real art costs a lot of money, I have more than a few pieces accumulated over years

for a guy starting out some wall art is not a bad thing, just don't go overboard, a few, large, strategically located and coordinated pieces
some color, no strong graphics, no strong shapes

md-canvas.com has some decent stuff

I have the 'good stuff' in public areas, in the guest room and bedroom a piece of wall art

in my room above the bed, large size
BENTO01-2__27271_std.jpg

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great idea on the Brit flag, scouring around to see what I can find. Thanks for the note Stephenhero, I wanted something interesting (not posters).

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I've actually been trying to find large high quality maps of NYC over the last couple weeks that could potentially be framed, preferably ones with historical information and such.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you can also get a basquiat print and get a nice frame. you can spend $15 for the print and under $100 for the frame....
that would be a nice start also....

i also have reproduction of the posters that they hung up in the 60's for concerts. i have them framed also....

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I'd like something about this big....

with a sophisticated and legible graphical sensibility. I'd intend to actually use the thing, so I'd probably want it to be new now that I think about it.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads