• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can't reinstall IE

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I removed IE some years ago on this computer (yeah, I know, need a reformat) and cannot seem to reinstall it. I feel like I altered the registry but I really don't remember.

Any suggestions? I'll keep Googling but no luck so far.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No **** asshole, but I can't watch Netflix vids with Firefox!

Bring The Noise

Reaction score
lolwut? i thought you couldn't remove internet explorer because it was integrated into the OS?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was going to do that once ( uninstall IE ) but I didn't.

The reason is that a Rice computer engineer told me that Windows Updates are designed to download easiest ( and perhaps solely ) with IE. So if you have a Windows based computer, it's a good idea to leave IE, even if you hardly ever use it.

If you delete IE then you will have troubles updating Windows ( or Vista ). So, I was told.

I assume you have a Windows based computer or you wouldn't care about IE. I myself use Firefox and want to try Google Chome.

To you techies. Has anyone of you ever uninstalled Windows IE on a Windows based machine and had no problems?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
To you techies. Has anyone of you ever uninstalled Windows IE on a Windows based machine and had no problems?
I am still able to download updates without IE. Like I said, I think a reg edit is required.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Duh, I forgot you can install IE off of a WXP disc. I'll see if this works.

das pui

Reaction score
I never got why people would go out of their way to uninstall IE. Its such a pain ********** in the long run if your running Windows and creates more problems.

If your not a fan, just dont use it. It takes up almost no space and has no significant impact on the performance of your PC if its not in use.

As for the OP, try reinstalling IE by downloading the setup file. If your worried about registry errors i'd recommend running CCleaner (www.ccleaner.com)

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...e/default.mspx

P.S. - First post, hope I didnt make a bad impression, not an IE fanboi just a skippy tech. :p

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Turnabout is fair play I guess.

What happens if you try to download IE7 using Firefox as the browser through which you are doing the downloading?

Here's the official MS IE download page. Shouldn't this work with Firefox? What browser are you using now?

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Duh, I forgot you can install IE off of a WXP disc. I'll see if this works.

You can also download the static install for v6 and v7 from the Microsoft site. The catch-22 is Microsoft requires IE to authenticate the "genuine advantage" crap so you have to download it from a 3rd party software archive (cnet, filehippo, etc...)

itmfl2046

Reaction score
Try the IE8 beta2 download, it's faster than 7 but compared to ie 5/6 it's bloatware.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads