• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cant gain weight

stinger70

Reaction score
gained 6lb to 141lb without any problem. Absolutley cannot get any heavier than that. Have been hitting the gym 4 times a week, lifting heavy and working hard, can see some increase in muscle definition but no gains. Diet is easily 3000 calories per day, for the past 2 weeks been in a hotel and this is what ive eaten:

breakfast:

2 x sausages
2 x hash brown
2 x eggs
1 fried bread
baked beans
yogurt

lunch:

pasta snack (550 cals)
nuts and raisins
chocolate bar
banana

dinner:

soup, couple of bread rolls
4 x chicken breasts
big serving of pasta with cheese etc
carrots
mash potato

usually desert, often a double serving of fudge cake with cream.

It just isnt adding an ounce of weight. Going to get some protein powder and try adding another 500 cals by using that. Dont hold out much hope. frustrated
plain.gif

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keeping adding calories until you see gain. Pretty easy.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Increase calories and see what happens... it's not like you're in a huge rush to gain as much weight as humanly possible. Just adjust and experiment, somewhere along the line it's pretty much guaranteed you'll find an amount of cals that'll get you the gains you want.

Also, are you doing heavy compounds?

stinger70

Reaction score
not sure what heavy compounds are. Im working on upper body as thats where gains are most important. Lifting as heavy as i can for 5 sets of 5 on different machines, plus doing bodyweight exercises like dips and free weights for chest etc. Im really feeling the burn afterwards and it feels great i just cant understand why im not building at all. Ive reached the limit of what i can eat, will have to be liquid foods to get any higher calories.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3000 Cal is not that much. If nothing else mix up some shakes. Or eat an extra rib eye everyday and drink **** load of milk and hard boil a few eggs.

Keep adding Cal and you WILL gain weight.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Add a pizza and a gallon a milk on top of whatever you eat daily.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stinger70
not sure what heavy compounds are. Im working on upper body as thats where gains are most important. Lifting as heavy as i can for 5 sets of 5 on different machines, plus doing bodyweight exercises like dips and free weights for chest etc. Im really feeling the burn afterwards and it feels great i just cant understand why im not building at all. Ive reached the limit of what i can eat, will have to be liquid foods to get any higher calories.

That's assbackwards in more than 1 way. I wouldn't do more than 3 sets for two exercises on 1 major muscle group a day(chest, back, legs, shoulders). Anything more is OVERKILL and it's no wonder you aren't gaining weight.

Also, the best way to gain muscle THROUGHOUT the body is by working out your lower body. Doing squats and deadlift has been scientifically proven to raise testosterone more than any other exercise, by far.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not sure what heavy compounds are.

Squat, deads, bench, press. If you're trying to gain, these are your best friends - **** machines and the like (if you're not injured).

asdf

Reaction score
gained 6lb to 141lb without any problem. Absolutley cannot get any heavier than that.

1) Buy Starting Strength or Wendler's 5-3-1
2) Read choice above
3) Do program
4) Do not customize program
5) Keep doing program
6) Eat a ****-ton
7) Do not ask questions
8) Continue doing program
9) Buy size 17.5 shirts
10) .....
11) Profit

stinger70

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=126457

ehh, basically doing everything in that thread except for reading the book. Eating plenty more than the calculations on their tell me i should. I've researched this well and been committed but just havent seen any improvement. Before i started on this diet i was lucky to eat 2000 calories most days as i just didnt bother to eat during the day. Adding 1000+ has GOT to make a difference
eh.gif

asdf

Reaction score
^If you are using machines and not using compound movements, you are not at all doing what is in that thread.

virus646

Reaction score
Stop arguing and just follow asdf's advice and what most people have already said. There's nothing much more to say really.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads