• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cant find shirts that fit!

jinx

Reaction score
I'm having trouble finding shirts that fit.
Basicly im tall and skinny.
Jantzen takes care of dress shirts but what can I do about polo shirts?

Ideally I would like a shirt that's about 18 inches from one shoulder seem to the other and 28-29 inches long. And all of this fitting tight around my 32 inch waist untucked.

I could take a medium size polo to a tailor and have him bring in the shoulders and sides, but how much would this cost?

Another option might be to some how shrink the top part of a medium and then have a drycleaner take in the waist.

Or maybe just find a "medium tall" and just shrink the whole thing.

Any thoughts?
Tim

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this is a big problem for me too. I've found that the Gap or Banana Republic "athletic fit" polo shirts fit this bill, but the fabrics are limited. Some of the BR fabrics I've found to be very high quality, but the selection is indeed limited in the more athletic cuts. I think Polo purple label sounds like it would fit the bill as well, but of course they are incredibly expensive. Perhaps on sale for $100 or so they are doable -- that isn't much more than a regular priced Lacoste, for instance -- but that's still pushing it for a polo shirt. Maybe buy a staple -- a navy blue or lavender, etc. -- and then it's a good expenditure. But to buy a whole bunch? Wow, that's a big difference from buying them at Gap for $15 a piece on sale.

This season though I've gotten a very nice pique polo in a Poloish lavender color from Gap, and I love the fit.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up one of J. Crews new pique polos, and while I usually am suspicious of J. Crew's quality in recent years, this polo fit very much like what you may be going for. A regular medium fit me perfectly, and I have similar measurements to you. It might be shorter in the hem than you wanted, but I'm not sure about that. In any event, you might want to check them out. $34 is a bit pricey still, but so long as it washes well, it was worth it to me.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Morphine Generation (www.morphinegeneration.com) makes lovely polo shirts, that I am sure everyone on this forum will love because they are extremely fitted and are designed to have the collars popped up in ultra-preppy position. BTW, it's a joke. But I do love their polos.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ralph Lauren now makes both slim fit and customizable polos, those sound like they would fit the bill.

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Morphine Generation (www.morphinegeneration.com) makes lovely polo shirts,
Those look really nice, and look like they'd actually fit me, which is handy. I e-mailed the company about mail-order, but until they get back to me - how much are they? What colors do they offer? The coat of arms is interesting...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads