• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can't decide whether to buy Varvatos Morrison Zip Boot

Farmgate

Reaction score
I am considering a John Varvatos Morrison Zip Boot, a replica of what Jim wore during 1967-68, and I am very concerned that instead of dropping $500 on these bad boys, I should be investing in ankle boots that are practical, middle of the road, and versatile. My concern is that I am making a big mistake; that the boots will not look right with anything, as I am not Jim Morrison, and have none of his swagger, that I will look ridiculous.

First, the Varvatos boots. Loved them from first sight. They're really sleek, and worn, and look very rock and roll. They're unusually authentic.

Looking at the practical side, they'll have limited use. Other than weekend trips to the rock and roll bars in winter and fall, and maybe some museum openings, and biker parties, I won't be able to wear them much. And I have already expressed my concern that they're just too wild for my middle of the road, cul-de-sac lifestyle.

Looks like I will only be able to wear them with really slim cut pants, slim jeans, which is not a problem, but in a world of guys wearing khakis and tennis shoes, I'm going to stand out.

Has anyone invested in a over-the-top ankle boot, and what do you wear them with? Do you think these are too over the top? Could you use them with a slim cut suit, such as one from Thick as Thieves? Did you wear them, like them or push them to the back of the closet?

As for me, I am 5'8, 155 lbs., and slim, a long distance runner. Wear a leather jackets in winter, but otherwise my wardrobe is professional, preppy and geared towards conservative, slim suits.

Here is the boot, it's in the middle of the page, and also see attachment:

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...rt=&altFilter=

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
kill-it-with-fire.jpg

AB01

Reaction score
I would normally say don't worry, but then I saw the picture. Would you still want them if Jim Morrison didn't wear them?

To own a pair of boots is great and can be worn often and everywhere, but not these boots. These boots are single purpose just like your gut told you.

Maybe a non-wrinkly boot with laces and lower on the ankle is what you need.
Also, who is to say that even the original boots Jim wore were of any good quality and design? They are for punk rockers and the rest of your clothing needs to be jeans and black leather jackets to match. Maybe long hair too.

inter71

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Farmgate
And I have already expressed my concern that they're just too wild for my middle of the road, cul-de-sac lifestyle.

Here is my short but relatively clear input.

From what you wrote, I cannot see the Morrison zip boot reflect your lifestyle. It is true they look very rock and roll and people would not notice them but you will probably be better off spending $550 on more practical boots.

It just is my view, but I am relatively conservative when it comes to wardrobe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads