• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

canon s90 vs panasonic LX3

theguy

Reaction score
I have been going back and forth like a madman lately trying to figure out which camera would be the smart buy.
I'm relatively new to the camera scene, here are the main differences I have found on these 2 cameras.
The s90 positives
-More compact
-Better zoom(not much better)
-Easier Controls

The LX3 positives
-From the samples I have been looking through, the LX3 has better image quality
-HD video recording(not a deal breaker for me)
-Wider lense

I can pick up the LX3 for $30 more then the s90 so the price difference is nothing.
I will be using the camera outdoors 75% of the time and you can figure out the rest.

Any input on what I should pick it greatly appreciated.

wetnose

Reaction score
How do they feel in your hands? Personally I thought the Canon seemed cheaply made.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a long time Canon Elph/Ixus/Powershot user... having owned something like 8 of them through 6 model generations. Generally love the speediness of operation and intuitiveness of menus and controls.

Im using a Panasonic Lumix FX37 right now and its also very great. My friend has LX3, its generally good, but the obvious fault to me--as a casual snap-shooter and less an "enthusiast"--is that its simply far too bulky.

I cant carry it in my pockets. Which means ill use it way, way less often.

I pick up the S90 tomorrow when I fly back home, but having owned a bunch of them I trust it'll meet my satisfaction

Becks23

Reaction score
For the S90, the compact factor is pretty big... I find the ergonomics much better on the S90... the joystick sucks on the LX-3.

But a lot of things lead to more options with the LX-3 with the hotshoe.

Image Quality = about the same
Size = S90
Features = LX-3

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Becks23
For the S90, the compact factor is pretty big... I find the ergonomics much better on the S90... the joystick sucks on the LX-3.

But a lot of things lead to more options with the LX-3 with the hotshoe.

Image Quality = about the same
Size = S90
Features = LX-3

What features do you need?

I kind of like the no-bullshit-ness of the S90. It has manual. Manual has two control rings for aperture and shutter. There is a shortcut button to manual focus and change ISO. The Ricoh GRD III takes it one step further by making all the icons really really small. I'm quite surprised by how big they decided to make the icons on the S90.

theguy

Reaction score
done
I picked up the s90 with a 4 yr black tie warranty from best buy.
It came out to about $530
Will post pics once I get used to the camera
Thanks for the help guys

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
picked mine up... 20% bing cashback = nice turned it on and snapped this first shot... f/2.0 1/25th iso800 http://imgur.com/4O4J8.jpg new dopp wallet - LOOK HOW THIN IT IS!!!!!!! edit: camera not as *compact* as i had hoped but not too bulky where it cant stuff it in jeans pocket

Becks23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
What features do you need?

I kind of like the no-bullshit-ness of the S90. It has manual. Manual has two control rings for aperture and shutter. There is a shortcut button to manual focus and change ISO. The Ricoh GRD III takes it one step further by making all the icons really really small. I'm quite surprised by how big they decided to make the icons on the S90.

Yeh, the S90 is relatively barebones, it doesn't have any fancy in-camera processing modes like pinhole... and no aspect ratio like LX-3... But that stuff isn't of great use to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads