• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

canon s90, best p&s?

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
I picked up the GRDIII a few days ago.. It ROCKS.. Took me a day to get used to it, ...
Would you rate it as better than the D-LUX 4?

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pabloj
Would you rate it as better than the D-LUX 4?
- not even in the same league.. The DL4 was one of Leica's all time fail

zubat

Reaction score
Why do you say that PG?

The DL4/LX3 is regarded as one of the best compacts available.

I should get my GRD3 this month.

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now if only Ricoh would upgrade the GX 200 as they did with the GR II ... I prefer a zoom

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zubat
Why do you say that PG?
The DL4/LX3 is regarded as one of the best compacts available.
I should get my GRD3 this month.

- Meh.. Reviews are like the internet fora .. Nothing beats real world personal experience.
- I tried to love my DL4, but it just never cut it for me.. In fact I found that he DL3 was better?

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
- Meh.. Reviews are like the internet fora .. Nothing beats real world personal experience.
- I tried to love my DL4, but it just never cut it for me.. In fact I found that he DL3 was better?

I thought the DL4 is not a bad camera but it's got a bad lense, waaaaaaaaay too much barrel distortion.

Smahatma

Reaction score
I didn't realize the GR Digital III is almost the same size as the S90. I figured it was as big as the EP-1 / GF1.

grd3s90.jpg

Also, I read the two use the exact same sensor. Is the GRD worth the extra ~$300 in that case?

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smahatma
I didn't realize the GR Digital III is almost the same size as the S90. I figured it was as big as the EP-1 / GF1.

grd3s90.jpg

Also, I read the two use the exact same sensor. Is the GRD worth the extra ~$300 in that case?

The lens on the GRD is nice. f/1.9 and decently wide. I do love the dual dial control system on the GRD. Still, 300 bucks more is a lot of money and the S90 looks like a very good camera in its own right.

Maximillion

Reaction score
Hm. What if my GRD is to big/heavy for some tasks (like taking it to the restaurant in my jacket). Is there a decent
- fixed lens
- low light (>= f2.0)
- ultra ultra compact
option available?

Canon-Ken likes the Canon SD780 - but I don't want a Zoom. Any idea PG?

Thanks.

Max

PolePosition

Reaction score
Canon SD880 IS... for a compact P&S you really can't beat it. Its been beating out the competition in test after test for the past couple of years.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mfais
http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/s90.htm

thoughts on this?

well i've handled the s90 and took some shots with it. its basically a stripped down g11 with a faster lens. whats great is the flash pops up and retracts automatically by motor. plus the form factor is really really good because it fits into pants pockets (normal fitting pants mind you not skinny jeans) and has that automatic lens cover too.

as for ken rockwell, his hyperbole still is totally annoying. like how he totally dismissed the lx3/dlux4 because he didn't take the time to learn how to use it. but he still contradicts himself because he mentions that in order to fully utilize a camera's potential then you should know it inside out.

i have the lx3 and if you learn from the various online user guides (www.lbguides.com is probably the best for pure spoonfeeding learning) then using that small joystick/quickmenu is really really fast and becomes second nature.

like the adjustment rings on the s90 are really great and fast, but you can actually control the whole lx3 just using your right hand/thumb totally manually once you know what you're doing.

the one thing i can say about the s90 (and a huge population of lx3 users) is that it will be too much/expensive of a camera for people's needs.

they'll be seduced by the positive user/blog/internet reviews thinking that its a dslr alternative when the best part of these camera's is the way you can fully manually tweak settings to your hearts content.... so the majority will just be spending $400 on something a simple $150-200 Point and shoot camera would do.

kind of like what is happening to new GF1/EP1 users.... lol spending $700-900 for a bulkier camera used exclusively in Intelligent Auto mode permanently.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The S90 needs better video.

Frankly, I think this whole market will be eaten by a combo of cell phones and EVILs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads