• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shopcanoeclub

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Keizo Shimizu is a pioneer in men’s fashion that continues to defy stereotypes with a personality as authentically passionate as he is creatively free. Shimizu is a designer that has his heart in the reverberations of what fashion means both culturally and personally - translating that love into a message.

The son of a movie theater owner and a gifted seamstress, Shimizu had an active interest in fashion from an early age. When in junior high, he happened across a copy of Men’s Club Magazine that introduced him to Ivy Style. The monthly magazine became his bible and he digested every issue, reading them cover to cover and memorizing sections. Additionally, his father brought home movie magazines that showed windows to American style and when the “Made In U.S.A. Catalog” was published in Japan, it changed his sense of fashion in a profound way.

There were Levi’s 501s on the cover and over 3000 US made products in the book, most of which had never been seen in Japan. Shimizu took off his Ivy Style blazer and trousers in favor of blue jeans and a flannel shirt.

In America, we take the freedom and exploration of style for granted, but in Japan, dressing this way was revolutionary and often troublesome for the older generations. “American Graffiti” played in his father’s theater in Shimizu’s first year of high school and he decided to pass on opportunities to play competitive baseball because he didn’t want to shave his head. He was already determined to work in the fashion industry and express his individuality through his excitement for clothes. “The way American students wore their clothes looked so free and it made me think that there wouldn’t be any rules to be cool.”

But as a young student, he didn’t have the money to pursue his passion. To solve this, he got his motorcycle license and commuted every morning and holiday to pick grapes as well as saving his lunch money to purchase clothes. He felt greater sustenance from gaining his individuality than through a mere meal.

After graduating from the Bunka Fashion College and working for VAN, Shimizu got a job working at a menswear store which eventually led to opening Redwood in 1982, selling American casual clothing and footwear that sent him on buying trips throughout the US. In 1988, Shimizu launched Nepenthes to distribute unique and diverse brands from all over the world to a global community of style enthusiasts. When clothing manufacturing began leaving America in the 90’s and it became harder to get genuine products, Shimizu looked to his native Japanese manufacturing to start a house brand for Nepenthes and to continue the American traditions he loves.

Further changes in the American fashion world had Shimizu and co-worker Daiku Suzuki discontented with what was being put out; they had a different vision. Suzuki would go on to form Engineered Garments and Shimizu created Nepenthes’ house brand Needles.

Needles is the journey of Shimizu’s passion. Connected to the best manufacturers throughout the Nepenthes’ empire of cool, Needles is a no-compromise view on what clothing should be - both personal and as a place of connection. Blending and deconstructing western and military Americana, sportswear and standards, the rebellious spirit of Needles is the simultaneously eccentric and handsome collections from Keizo Shimizu. With a lifetime in the fashion industry, Shimizu is still challenging fashion with tireless ardor.

Read more about Needles in our Back-Story blog features: Lounge King, and Needles All Night

needles 45.jpeg

needles 12.jpeg

Cut-Off Bottom Italian Collar Shirt - Wave

needles 3.jpeg

needlessadf.jpeg

Penny Jean Jacket - Brown
7 Cuts Long Sleeve Tee - College

needles.jpeg

Penny Jean Jacket - Green
7 Cuts Flannel Shirt
Virgil Boots-Folk - Brown

87876.jpeg

Award Jacket - Poly Back Satin - Charcoal

neeeeedles.jpeg

V-Neck Sweater - Grey

needles 435.jpeg

needles 5.jpeg

V-Neck Sweater - Beige

NEEDLES 2.jpeg

Sweat Hoody - Purple

needles 4.jpeg

Sweat Hoody - Mustard

needles 564.jpeg

7 Cuts Long Sleeve - College

Pinky_Black.png

shopcanoeclub

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Engineered Garments is part of Japanese fashion kingmaker's Nepenthes label, and Daiki Suzuki is one of those rarest of menswear designers that has an authentic and deeply personal vision for style, yet he still maintains accessible appeal as he playfully blends details and fabrication. A lifelong vintage collector, Daiki takes inspiration from his archives of sportswear, workwear, and military standards and then meticulously alters designs by subtracting extraneous clutter and adding intriguing details. The result is engineered garments that are at once comfortably familiar and strikingly new.

There are so many details in each piece that you’d be hard pressed to appreciate them all individually, but that’s maybe besides the point; seen overall, you’ll intuitively feel their special genesis. The contemporary clothes from Engineered Garments are driven by enough passion to share around. The corresponding conversations between pattern, fabrication, and assembly stitches a vision of urban flair and workwear elements together with humble utility - a total delight of creativity without pretension.

Read an interview with Nepenthes founder and Needles designer Keizo Shimizu and EG's Daiki Suzuki here.

shopcanoeclub

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

No one’s judging what we're wearing right now while we’re all at home, and cooling out with comfortable favorites is hard to deny. But lest malaise shroud the mood of the day - mixing in your true self with some clever combinations is gonna ignite positivity more than morning coffee or evening cocktails.

And just as always, there’s no wrong answer to what feels right. Whether your go-to gear is cozy, something buttoned-up, something wild, or a combination of it all - getting dressed exactly how you feel, or want to feel, has full creative freedom...

coop 1.jpg

coop 2.jpg

Engineered Garments Trucker Jacket - Natural Upcycled Denim
Visvim Amplus Hoodie PO - Red
Engineered Garments Painter Pant - Natural Upcycled Denim
Hender Scheme MIP-22 - Natural

chase 1.jpg

chase 2.jpg

Engineered Garments Camp Shirt - Light Blue Cotton Dobby Stripe
Nanamica Deck Shorts - Navy
Needles Asymmetric Ghillie Sneaker - White

coop 3.jpg

coop 4.jpg

Harmony Sany Velour Sweatshirt - Ash Grey
Lady White Sweat Short - Night Grey
Visvim Attica Trainer - Beige

chase 3.jpg

chase 4.jpg

Needles Penny Jean Jacket - Brown
Lady White Tee
RRL Cotton Chino Pant - Olive Frog Skin Camo
Hender Scheme Doc Martens (my own personal beat up pair that I wear almost everday)

Pinky_Black.png

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And then here is one from myself personally. Just all the **** I've been listening to here... quite a different mix but it's my favorite stuff.

Dude, much love for throwing The Microphones in there. They'll always hold a special place in my heart. I think I've told you, but I grew up in Portland and towards the end of high school and into my early 20s, I used to hang with the Marriage Records crowd (at the studio, a lot of shows, with several of the musicians) quite a bit. Interesting, memorable, sweet times.

shopcanoeclub

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Dude, much love for throwing The Microphones in there. They'll always hold a special place in my heart. I think I've told you, but I grew up in Portland and towards the end of high school and into my early 20s, I used to hang with the Marriage Records crowd (at the studio, a lot of shows, with several of the musicians) quite a bit. Interesting, memorable, sweet times.
The Glow pt. II is 100% top 3 most important records to me. I still remember the first time I heard it and being completely entranced. So cool!!! I've been telling my girl about how I really badly want to go visit Anacortes just because of my love for anything Phil Elverum has done. Did you ever get into Carissa's Wierd while living out that way?

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Glow pt. II is 100% top 3 most important records to me. I still remember the first time I heard it and being completely entranced. So cool!!! I've been telling my girl about how I really badly want to go visit Anacortes just because of my love for anything Phil Elverum has done. Did you ever get into Carissa's Wierd while living out that way?

No, never really get them much of a listen. Will check them out though, now that I have some time on my hands :)

And yes! TG pt. II is a phenomenal album; 'Map-moon' is my jam.

shopcanoeclub

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
No, never really get them much of a listen. Will check them out though, now that I have some time on my hands :)

And yes! TG pt. II is a phenomenal album; 'Map-moon' is my jam.
I think you'll enjoy CW. It's sad sad sad stuff but reminds me a lot of driving around in college.

withbluejeans

Reaction score
And then here is one from myself personally. Just all the **** I've been listening to here... quite a different mix but it's my favorite stuff.

So good to see so much Alex G on here. Can't think of a more diverse and talented songwriter out there - his discography is so stacked.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads