• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cannot find a suit that I like! Argh. Help!

PackingHeat

Reaction score
I get really picky when it comes to suits... makes sense since it's not like I'm buying some new undershirts. Anyway, I realized I don't own one that I can wear anymore. I had one before.. it's been a while, sorta grew out of it and I don't like it. Time for a new one, I say! I have two weddings coming up that I've been invited to and I'm hoping to have a new one for at least one of them. I'm looking to spend 500 or under. I'm looking for a slim one (or skinny as some call it), in a navy color. I've been jumping between grey, dark grey.. but now I'm sort of eyeing up blue/navy ones now.. an "air force" blue, if you will. Topman.com had one(s) that I really liked, but the one I really wanted is currently not in my size. I recently found this one, they had my size (except for the waist, but I could get that tailored). But they do not ship to the US. Argh! http://www.burton.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...lag&catalogId= 33052&storeId=12551&productId=1938092&langId=-1&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=209128&parent_ca tegoryId=208978&pageSize=20 It's almost exactly what I want. I saw a post on here of some guys discussing Air-Force blue suits.. and I'm really digging it. But! Any idea where I should/could look? Thanks!

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spend some time reading here and you will have more options than you know what to do with.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PackingHeat
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Found this number, I'm into it.

http://us.asos.com/Ben-Sherman-Tailo...WNrZXQvUHJvZC8

NO!

But fine if that's what you're into...
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
NO!

But fine if that's what you're into...
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

No no no no no don't encourage him.

NO!

Octoberfile

Reaction score
Marvelous choice!.......Just marvelous! That shiny synthetic material looks awfully sharp and that shorty-short jacket is destined to flatter your backside in the best possible way. Here's a link where you can find additional inspiration that will help you to stand out even more at that wedding. Make sure to instruct the tailor to hem the pants just above the ankle to give you that modern flood look so popular with the kids.

http://www.chictopia.com/browse/people/2?g=2

Not Ed Harris

Reaction score
Now I'm assuming you're in the UK. Whereabouts are you? The fit is important so it's preferable that you go into an actual shop to try these things on where possible. You're not an unusual size which helps.

People will suggest the B&S section here. That's all well and good but virtually everything will be shipped from the US so you should bear in mind that you'll likely get nailed with customs charges on top of what you're paying. If you do go down this route, if possible, see if you can try on something similar of the same make to check the size and fit.

Oh yes, and stay away from synthetic fabrics.

[EDIT]

Actually having read your post properly it seems you're in the US. You can disregard most of what I said.

nelly

Reaction score
Saying that you don't really have a suit to wear anymore means you are essentially buying what will be your one and only best suit...to go to a wedding...or any future interviews.

You should purchase something classic and slightly conservative like a dark navy suit. Splurge on shiny air force blue suits when you are out of high school and can afford to buy more than one.

(I'm assuming you're 16yo by the way)

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No polyester suits. You will be throwing that $$ away. 100% wool, no exceptions.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know what you're after...one step above Banana Republic but not like Zegna $2K suits.

Don't worry about it - check out Hugo Boss for slim fit suits on sale. You should find one around $500 every once and a while. If you don't wear it more than a few times every couple months no worries. Granted, it's not going to be as durable and beefy as some other suits but you're not going to need the whole canvassing thing.

PackingHeat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirGrotius
I know what you're after...one step above Banana Republic but not like Zegna $2K suits.

Don't worry about it - check out Hugo Boss for slim fit suits on sale. You should find one around $500 every once and a while. If you don't wear it more than a few times every couple months no worries. Granted, it's not going to be as durable and beefy as some other suits but you're not going to need the whole canvassing thing.

Thank you for the only serious, sans ad hominem, response. I guess some of my humor didn't get through to other people.

Anyway, I'll check that out. Thanks.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can get new $2k Zegna (or PRL, RLPL, Canali, even Isaia) suits in the B&S forum all the time for $500 if you are a little patient and know exactly what your measurements are. All of which are better made and will last you much longer than wasting $500 on a Boss suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads