• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Canes

Mr. Darcy

Reaction score
Okay Gentlemen, As my first thread here at StyleForum, I would like to say I am glad I found this group. I have made posts on a few other threads, but I now have a question of my own which through searching seems to have not been asked yet. Do any of you use a cane/walking stick? If so, what kind/what does it look like, etc. I have found a love of making canes, but wasn't sure if anyone was still using canes that were not of the "canes for elderly people" variety (i.e rubber handle, four feet, etc.). Here are some pictures of the latest of my efforts, what do you think of it? http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...n/Canefull.jpg http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...n/CaneHead.jpg

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looks nice - what is that - flame maple/walnut?

Mr. Darcy

Reaction score
It is indeed.. Do you work with wood much yourself? Not many people I have met know the difference between flame maple and any other type of maple.

In case anyone might wonder;
It's 38 3/4 inches long, with a hand-rubbed oil finish.

I also made a solid walnut cane with a antique glass handle, but it weighs a lot more then the one above! Funny how that little bit of Maple can make it so much lighter. If there is any interest, I can post a picture of the walnut/glass cane as well.

Thanks for looking! And thank you hooker4186 for your reply.

Will Knowles

Reaction score
I'd like to be able to pull off a cane, but I get the impression that my first is that of a pretentious nitwit as it is.

Night Owl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Darcy
Okay Gentlemen,
As my first thread here at StyleForum, I would like to say I am glad I found this group. I have made posts on a few other threads, but I now have a question of my own which through searching seems to have not been asked yet.

Do any of you use a cane/walking stick? If so, what kind/what does it look like, etc.

I have found a love of making canes, but wasn't sure if anyone was still using canes that were not of the "canes for elderly people" variety (i.e rubber handle, four feet, etc.).

Here are some pictures of the latest of my efforts, what do you think of it?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...n/Canefull.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y29...n/CaneHead.jpg

Honestly, I want to hang some curtains from it. I'd like to see that with a crook handle.

Anyway, my stick is a root stick from SAB. It works for me without looking like I'm trying too hard.

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm no woodworker - i'm a guitarist and have a guitar in flame maple. i have an appreciation for anyone who can make something beautiful out of wood.

Mr. Darcy

Reaction score
H.. well, guitarists do tend to know nice wood when they see it. I'm currently working on one with a hook, but it's amazing how much longer it takes. I hadn't thought about hanging curtains from it, as it really fits the hand rather well.. I based the handle on a silver handled cane I saw on www.gentlemansemporium.com.

aldica

Reaction score
I think it is wonderful! If you can carry it off, don't hesitate!

Mr. Darcy

Reaction score
haha.. thanks, I believe I could, and might for a while, but I have my favorite. I'm actually kind of looking to get rid of this one to a good home, before the women of the house start telling me I have to many, and they get shipped off to Good-Will!

mafoofan Jr.

Reaction score
I prefer my stick longer but that is a nice one, albeit too mundanely utilitarian. Some subtle bling would be nice.

Mr. Darcy

Reaction score
mafoofan Jr.,
Could you give me an example? I might give it a try on one of the next ones.

I mainly use mine during the winter months, when the chances of ice are higher, and in wet weather.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 27 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 135 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 252 32.5%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 123 15.9%
  • 31 - 40