• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canali's Cut?

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
Saw a few Canali MTM suits today - reasonable value for $1,300 a pop, but some of the cuts were a bit too fashion-forward for my taste (narrow lapels and the like).

Have people seen Canali's in more conservative cuts? - more Hickey than Corneliani.

Thanks,

Panzer

Ranjeev

Reaction score
I've never really thought of Canali as being too fashion forward. Maybe more fitted then Zegna but certainly not slim fitting. I bought a Canali suit recently to wear to work in a law firm and I think it is conservative enough to fit in well.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prada, Versace, or D&G are fashion forwarded. Canali is not. Have look at Canali's model number inside suit jacket. If the model number says 14000 range, most likely thats new line that is slim fitting. 13000 range is traditional fitting suit.

I love Canali suits. Very well made. Slighty better quality than Ermengildo Zegna but much lower price.

slaavwmr

Reaction score
Canali is better than Zegna? Why is Zegna priced $500-$700 more than Canali. Based on that Zegna is a big rip-off.

How does Canali stack up against Corneliani and BB Cantareli?

I have a Canali suit and am currently close to buying another suit. Those are the four lines I was considering. I always had the impression that Zegna was the better suit.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Zegna has moderately better construction (canvas in the lapels seems stitched slightly better; overall lighter feel), better fabrics, and a better cut in the shoulders than Canali. But there is certainly a name recognition premium for Zegna that Canali doesn't have. I just bought a great Zegna at Last Call for $440, and at that price is was a no-brainer, as it was the exact fabric I had been looking for for some time. But I don't think I'd pay $800 for a Zegna to be honest.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is how I always figured Canali:

the 13 model's shoulder made me look like I was wearing football armor

the 14 model's shoulder was soft, natural, more like Isaia

I adore Zegna, fabric, fit, construction, and cloth. There is a SB model this spring in Soltex fabric with an abbreviated lapel, a very slight little jacket, that's just wonderful. I forget the model number, but it clearly distinguishes itself from the cardigan model, which is my third favorite model. The last I check they are no longer making the feather.

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
What price point does Zegna MTM start at? - $1,800?

spatten

Reaction score
Zegna and Canali are my favourite suits. To be fair I don't own any top tier - Attolini, Kiton, A&S suits. The Canali seems to be a bit more slim fitting as someone suggested. The Zegna seems a bit softer, and certainly has better fabrics available. I also love the roped shoulders on the Zegna lines - but the Canali fits good too.

I have a Trofeo and 15 mil 15 that I love to wear. Canalis fabrics are good but not exceptional - I am not sure which fabric houses they use. Anyone?
Since I buy them only at Last Call type prices, usually about 500-600$ I buy them both. If I had to pay retail I would buy Canali.

Corneliani seems to use some great fabrics, but I haven't had as good of luck with the cut. No experience with Cantarelli - but have heard good things.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these suits - just go for the best buy/fit/fabric....

Scott

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What price point does Zegna MTM start at? - $1,800?
In general, for new Zegna this season:

Z-Zegna (fused) at the low end; a suit starts at $995

Zegna (canvassed) starts at $1450 for a sportcoat, $1795-$1995 for a suit

MTM Zegna ("I" level fabric [e.g., Torfeo, Soltex]) $2395.

And it just skyrockets from there (e.g. cashmere, 15mil15, etc.).

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
(Panzeraxe @ Feb. 03 2005,09:48) What price point does Zegna MTM start at? - $1,800?
In general, for new Zegna this season: Z-Zegna (fused) at the low end; a suit starts at $995 Zegna (canvassed) starts at $1450 for a sportcoat, $1795-$1995 for a suit MTM Zegna ("I" level fabric [e.g., Torfeo, Soltex]) $2395. And it just skyrockets from there (e.g. cashmere, 15mil15, etc.).
Thanks - I can't really imagine paying $2,400 for Zegna MTM - specially when I can get a nice besopke suit for $600 bucks more

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only six biggies for bespoke? Do tell.

tdial

Reaction score
I believe he was saying $600 more than $2400 for Zegna MTM. $3000 for the bespoke.

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
I believe he was saying $600 more than $2400 for Zegna MTM. $3000 for the bespoke.
Yep - that's what I meant. Darren clocks in at $2,400, while some of the big boys start in at $3,000.

Davide Cenci MTM is at $2,100 - cheaper than Zegna and arguably better

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well .. the difference is .. when people ask you .. wow nice a nice suit that you are wearing .. who's the designer? Then you probably feel good when you say Ermengildo Zegna ...

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks - I can't really imagine paying $2,400 for Zegna MTM - specially when I can get a nice besopke suit for $600 bucks more
Now I understand, $3K for bespoke. I trust your tailor is fantastic.

Being in Indiana, where meeting with a fine tailor requires a drive to Chicago (i.e., no fun), I have come to truly appreciate E-Zegna's MTM program. They do a fantastic job and have wonderful service. Off the rack Zegna is already a perfect fit for me, which is the most important factor, for me, in buying a suit. Then construction and fabric, then handwork, all of which Zegna does well. Mainly due to being a perfect fit in predesignated Zegna models, I find the bespoke route unnecessary. And I only go the MTM route when the fabric I want is not used in the suits the store carries.

That said, were I not a perfect fit in the models of a MTM program and I had a $3K bespoke option nearby, yes, without question, I would choose bespoke for $600 over MTM Zegna, sort of a no-brainer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads