Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Canali tweed sports coat

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fanthom, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Fanthom

Fanthom Senior member

Hi.

I've found a Canali sports coat on sale, which fitted me perfectly. I liked the style - double side vents and ticket pocket. And I liked most of all the tailoring.

However, I am a bit unsure about what I would use it with. It is made of 100% wool (including 8% cashmere), and is "tweedish" - a mix of brown, grey, blue, etc. From a distance it looks grey/brown. The sales person called it a tweed jacket - but there is no noisy pattern, just interleaving threads of colours.

The price tag is appr. $500, a 30% reduction.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance.

Marcus

2. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Marcus:

Sounds like it'd be a great acquisition to your wardrobe. It'd match a lot of ties and shirt combinations if your office dress code allows you to wear sport coats. It would also allow you to mix a lot of solid knits under it for a GREAT business casual look. With double vents and a ticket pocket it may be a bit formal to dress down with jeans, but cords and a solid button down shirt would work as well. IMO tailoring is the most important aspect of a purchase- if it fits you really well it's a wise purchase, and that's certainly a reasonable price.

3. Stu

Stu Senior member

I think some nice chocolate brown gabardine wool trousers would work well -- the gabardine would contrast with the tweed and make it stand out more. And perhaps a really nice yellow or cream shirt

4. Fanthom

Fanthom Senior member

Thanks a lot for replying.

Yes, I think it would be something I would have in my wardrobe for a very long time. I've become interested in quality clothing quite recently, and this coat is the best item I have ever tried on.

I think it is the undeterministic grey/brown colour that make me unsure. I'll go back tomorrow and have another look at it.

Regarding contrast: good idea. Have you seen the picture in Roetzel's book of a silk pocket square in the pocket of a tweed coat? The effect is really beautiful. (The tweed in "my" coat is not as coarse as the one in the picture).

I was also thinking about using the coat with light moleskin pants for a casual look.

Marcus