• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canali Suits vs Zegna Suits on sale

azzkikr9

Reaction score
Hey guys, quick questions here...

1. In terms of construction, would you say that Canali and Zegna off the rack are of the same quality?

2. In terms of fabric, would you say Canali or Zegna off the rack are of comparable quality?

3. In terms of sale items, would you go with Canali or Zegna, and why?

Found a couple of suits (120s flannels) and a few sport coats (silk/wool blends) from Canali at $399 and $275 respectively NWTs at NordsRack. Would many of you jump on those immediately or spend extra coin on Zegna on sale for $599?

Both makers seem to be on par with one another to me, just want to get an idea of which offers the best value for the money?

nsoltz

Reaction score
More important than value vs price is the question of what fits you better. I've never seen Canali or Zegna at Nordstrom Rack so you certainly have stumbled upon some excellent buys.

I prefer Zegna. Most of my suits and jackets are Zegna although I personally am beginning to tend much more to Isaia (a radically different cut from Zegna). Canali is probably close to the same quality and some would argue the two are about the same. It is also a function of the fabric. You might find a better fabric in the sale-priced Canali than in the sale-priced Zegna.

Zegna has a higher list price, which some would argue is attributable to marketing costs and "image."

But, since both have fully-canvassed jackets, I would go with whatever fits you the best.

BTW, where is this Rack located?

azzkikr9

Reaction score
Rack on State street in Chicago...they had about 5 jackets in my size on clearance $399 rack price at 30% off (got two) and suits at $599 at 30% off (got two) The fit is quite nice, great silhouette.

Although fir not as "natural" as my Kiton or Brioni it is pretty damn close. Why get Canali then you ask? Besides the current state of the economy and being cautious on how much I spend, I do need some workhorses in my wardrobe and my Kiton and Brioni are far too delicate for every week use.

dclloyd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by azzkikr9
Hey guys, quick questions here...

1. In terms of construction, would you say that Canali and Zegna off the rack are of the same quality?

2. In terms of fabric, would you say Canali or Zegna off the rack are of comparable quality?

3. In terms of sale items, would you go with Canali or Zegna, and why?

Found a couple of suits (120s flannels) and a few sport coats (silk/wool blends) from Canali at $399 and $275 respectively NWTs at NordsRack. Would many of you jump on those immediately or spend extra coin on Zegna on sale for $599?

Both makers seem to be on par with one another to me, just want to get an idea of which offers the best value for the money?

Each has different lines and it depends somewhat on which ones these are. If it's a Canali Exclusive Collection versus the Zegna "Z" line it's a no brainer and Canali would be the way to go. But if it's a Canali Preposta versus Zegna main line it's not as simple!

azzkikr9

Reaction score
They are both Canali and Ermenegildo Zegna main lines, non of that spinoff stuff.

dclloyd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by azzkikr9
They are both Canali and Ermenegildo Zegna main lines, non of that spinoff stuff.

If they fit you equally well I'd say the Canali is a better bang for the buck. I own both brands and I'd put them on about equal footing in terms of fabric and maybe give a bit of an edge to Zegna on construction. All other things being equal, for half the price I'd say the Canali's are a much better value.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads