• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Canali suit for $900 on sale, any advice on if I should get it?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Whether a suit is worth buying is almost entirely up to whether it fits you well and flatters your figure. It's impossible to generalize what is the best suit for a large population because everyone has different needs, fits, builds, lifestyles, personalities, etc. You have to find your own fitting issues and figure out what looks good on you. I would not buy a random Canali suit if you're not familiar with the model, even if it's discounted. It helps to be familiar with the line, models, and measurements -- that will increase your chances of getting a good suit.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nine-hundred dollars is an ok price. Not an incredible bargain but not bad either.

If you’re getting it at SoF, then you should be able to return it.

As for the fit, canali has different models (see above) and the cuts can change by season so don’t be too swayed by “regular” or “slim” as the terms are meaningless.

Get it, try it on and if you don’t like it, then return it. Bear in mind the cost of alterations. Just the basics (finishing the sleeves and hemming the pants) will set you back $60-100 depending on who you use. Anything more, like taking in the jacket or any kind of major surgery turns your so-so deal on its head.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@floridasenior has a post on Style Advice demonstrating how worthless these kinds of rankings are. He looks better in a $100 JAB suit with some minor tailoring than many suits I’ve seen here costing an order of magnitude more.

I disagree, there are more in a well made suit than it appears in the eye. A $100 suit, no matter how much the tailor can tweak it, will make it better than a well made suit with hand sewn armholes, etc. I've learned this the hard way.

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree, there are more in a well made suit than it appears in the eye. A $100 suit, no matter how much the tailor can weak it, will make it better than a well made suit with hand sewn armholes, etc. I've learned this the hard way.

Not trying to claim that construction doesn't matter. It does. But there is often an obsession about 'rankings' and comparing brands in terms of 'quality' when fit and styling are ultimately so much more important. A hand-sewn armhole won't save a poorly fitting jacket.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not trying to claim that construction doesn't matter. It does. But there is often an obsession about 'rankings' and comparing brands in terms of 'quality' when fit and styling are ultimately so much more important. A hand-sewn armhole won't save a poorly fitting jacket.

I think “obsession” is the perfect term. People will post here and refer to ranking without any apparent concern to intrinsic factors, cost being a large one.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think “obsession” is the perfect term. People will post here and refer to ranking without any apparent concern to intrinsic factors, cost being a large one.

I don't see suit ranking as the gospel, but a guide for people that are overwhelmed with labels.

Suits with high MSRP can often had for way, way less in outlets, fleabay, etc.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see suit ranking as the gospel, but a guide for people that are overwhelmed with labels.

Suits with high MSRP can often had for way, way less in outlets, fleabay, etc.

I get the notion of trying to quantify such things, but the issue I have is that often you’ll just get a list like “Kiton>Brioni>Isaia” and so on without any consideration as to what factors go into such a ranking and how any of it matters on a practical basis.

An Isaia suit will cost between $3-4k on average whereas Kiton will cost $5-7k. What is the quantifiable difference and does it warrant the price differential and is there a substantial qualitative difference? It’s a rhetorical question for all those posting such hierarchies.

The problem is that we are conditioned as consumers to look right at the top of the list and consider anything ranked below as complete ****.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An Isaia suit will cost between $3-4k on average whereas Kiton will cost $5-7k. What is the quantifiable difference and does it warrant the price differential and is there a substantial qualitative difference? It’s a rhetorical question for all those posting such hierarchies.

Like any apparel, once you get to mid-high grade, you're getting 90-95 percentile of the quality, and for the extra 5% you often have to pay double or triple to get there.

I paid $700 for my new Isaia suit from fleabay, it only needed minor tweaking and fits me as well as my MTM suit that costs more than double.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like any apparel, once you get to mid-high grade, you're getting 90-95 percentile of the quality, and for the extra 5% you often have to pay double or triple to get there.

I paid $700 for my new Isaia suit from fleabay, it only needed minor tweaking and fits me as well as my MTM suit that costs more than double.

and you got a good deal, assuming it was what you were looking for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads